UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2020, 9:57 am   #1
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default McIntosh valve amplifier manufacture.

This appeared in my youtube recommended list the other day. The 'how its made' style programme all about McIntosh valve amps which are still made:

https://youtu.be/2HgS6gvokEI
Old 18th Nov 2020, 10:18 am   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: McIntosh valve amplifier manufacture.

McIntosh are a major audio electronics manufacturing company, and have been going since Adam was a lad. Beautifully built and with a characteristic appearance. And some of it is punishingly new-car level expensive.

Thanks for the YouTube link! The unit they are building, the 275, is a mere price baby at £7k.

Craig

Last edited by Craig Sawyers; 18th Nov 2020 at 10:25 am.
Old 18th Nov 2020, 12:10 pm   #3
murphymad
Heptode

I see that they have simplified the manufacture and reduced the complexity of the 275 output transformer when compared with the MC240 type which I was asked to rewind a couple of years ago. Also it is no longer on C-Cores.

I would rather have the MC240 with no circuit boards!!!

Mike...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190331_19_01_55_Pro.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	220668   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190414_21_24_52_Pro.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	220669  
Old 18th Nov 2020, 2:38 pm   #4

Interesting video, well made, the LEDs are not blue and I enjoyed the transformer laminating machine. £7k though? At least the IEC connector is the right way up (ground down). I do wonder if the meter is real watts or volts assuming a resistive load.

Old 18th Nov 2020, 7:17 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

Ooh, wow. How do they do the special heaters in the valves which make them glow green?

All mine are just the old-school reddy-orange.

The speaker terminals are in a non-magnetic material "which is important because magnetic ones would react to the current and cause distortion"

I suppose non-magnetic materials for the transformers would price them out of the market ?

Sorry, but the twaddle factor is too high to watch further.

David
Old 18th Nov 2020, 7:17 pm   #6
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

There are amps in the McIntosh range that make £7k look cheap.

For example this beast https://www.dbhifi.co.uk/product/mcintosh-mc2kw/ . Note the £49,500 is for one channel - so the thick end of £100k for a stereo amp.

Craig
Old 18th Nov 2020, 8:42 pm   #7
chriswood1900
Octode

Slightly surprised on a corporate video at the wonky tube near the start followed by a panel covered in fingerprints, interesting seeing how they are made but best with the sound turned down.
Old 18th Nov 2020, 11:47 pm   #8
joebog1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Ooh, wow. How do they do the special heaters in the valves which make them glow green?

All mine are just the old-school reddy-orange.

The speaker terminals are in a non-magnetic material "which is important because magnetic ones would react to the current and cause distortion"

I suppose non-magnetic materials for the transformers would price them out of the market ?

Sorry, but the twaddle factor is too high to watch further.

David
The way to beat the problem of magnetic speaker terminals David, is to make the output transformers DC. A steady fixed flux!!

Joe
Old 20th Nov 2020, 2:39 pm   #9
PJL
Dekatron

I guess the non-magnetic speaker connectors also allow the pre-amp 'tubes' to be placed right next to the power output ones. I have to agree with the dislike of using a PCB for a valve amplifier and particularly for the power output valves, still, it is good to see some manufacturing that is not in the far east.
Closed Thread