UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Nov 2020, 9:15 pm   #121
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Re: Skip Useful Finds

I've been thinking I need to get over my fear of surface mount components. After all, if I wear my normal +2.0 supermarket spectacles at the same time as a pair of +2.5 which someone recently gave me, I can see in quite fine detail at about 9" with a depth of field of at least an inch! With this in mind, I was glad that yesterday the work skip yielded me these soldering irons. Nothing like having the right tool for the job

(the biggest one - 200W - had never had a plug on it and I was the first to try to tin that massive tip. I guess it's for tinwork rather than anything electrical - I'll have to give it a go).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201128_142948.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	221455  
Old 29th Nov 2020, 10:46 am   #122
rontech
Heptode

When I retired early I had in my office/lab a number of items unused for years. The Company were quite happy to write these off and I acquired
a super, Sennheiser directional microphone, an early Psion Organiser, a Bruel and Kjaer 1/3 octave analyser ( valve type ) and a brand new spare photmultiplier tube and electronics unit from a long junked spectrophotometer. I did not take a Uher tape recorder and two Advance electronics variacs. I have since regretted not doing that. These would have ended up in skip many years ago now.
Old 29th Nov 2020, 2:08 pm   #123
emeritus
Dekatron

In my time with GEC our department got moved around Chelmsford several times. When a site we shared with Marconi Marine was due to be sold for redevelopment, Marine moved out first. They left lots of stuff behind and said we could help ourselves. I ended up with a couple of RF and Audio signal generators, a Farnell 30V PSU, an oscilloscope, dozens of drums of wire and cable in a wide range of sizes, tens of thousands of fasteners from 0-80 UNF to M10, and thousands of assorted resistors, capacitors and semiconductors. Oh, and an original 10" x 12" framed photograph of Marconi found in a waste-paper basket.

When it was time for us to leave I found under a pile of papers in an overlooked cupboard, a Marconi booklet describing in some detail their 1954 experimental closed circuit 405 line NTSC public demonstration that included two colour slides of images displayed on the screen of one of the colour TVs used. I provided a scan to an American web site about vintage TV for its section on UK NTSC experiments.

Last edited by emeritus; 29th Nov 2020 at 2:20 pm.
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 11:11 pm   #124
Tim
Dekatron

My old supervisor found a “ self powered” one tilts the handle and it moves by itself-upright vacuum cleaner. Unfortunately it was 110 volt. It did work though He lived in an old house where the old style round pin sockets and wiring had been left in situ But disconnected. when the house was re-wired.
An evening fiddling about with a screwdriver and a 1KV 240-110 transformer and he created a 110 volt system using the old sockets, of which there was one in every room.
It was a smashing cleaner and he used it for many years.
Crazy? No just eccentric!
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 6:35 pm   #125
Tim
Dekatron

Sorry 1KVA transformer