UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 16th Oct 2020, 1:38 pm   #1
jonnybear
Octode

Lightbulb Radio Knob Brights

Whilst recovering buttons on a chair I am upholstering an idea came into my head, the 19mm self cover buttons from a remnant shop are exactly the same profile and size as the button brights on my roberts radio, so with a careful cutting with a dremel or similar to remove back would make replacement brights. I suppose you could go further and plate them gold, just a thought.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07625.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	218034   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07624.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	218035  

Last edited by jonnybear; 16th Oct 2020 at 1:47 pm.
Old 16th Oct 2020, 3:28 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Radio Knob Brights

Another source of brights is Tactile Switches. Theses 12mm switches reveal 9.5 / 10mm bronze coloured disk. Using a small jewellers screwdriver lever the ring out of the top of switch. Disk's have a slight bevel. I have some switches to spare if anyone needs the brights I can offer some for postage.

John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SN854361.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	218040   Click image for larger version

Name:	SN854360.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	218041  
Old 18th Oct 2020, 6:31 pm   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

to add to this, does anyone know a way to replace the 'bush' style knob brights as fitted to the DAC90A? Not a disc, but a sort of ring.
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 1:15 pm   #4
moleman
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
Another source of brights is Tactile Switches. Theses 12mm switches reveal 9.5 / 10mm bronze coloured disk. Using a small jewellers screwdriver lever the ring out of the top of switch. Disk's have a slight bevel. I have some switches to spare if anyone needs the brights I can offer some for postage.

John.
I would be really keen to get some of these, will happily pay postage or can you reveal your source?
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 11:08 pm   #5
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi. Is it the switches you require? Or the brights inside? I can take out the brights if that is all you need. Also how many? I can send say 6 switches or 6 brights for postage. What your address ?

Cheers, John.
OOPS this should have been a PM, Please reply by Private message, Your message may be delayed due to being your first post.
Old 24th Oct 2020, 10:21 am   #6
moleman
Diode

PM sent
Old 13th Dec 2020, 7:35 pm   #7
Gabe001
Octode

John can you please post the link to those switches? The brights will come in useful and I don't want to deplete your stock

Gabriel
Old 13th Dec 2020, 10:24 pm   #8
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Just to be clear my brights are 9.5mm dia, a lot smaller than the Roberts sets need. I can send 6 brights for postage.

John.
Old 4th Feb 2021, 7:10 pm   #9
llama
Octode

Going back to the original recommendation, I've just looked on ebay and measured the brights on my Dynatron Nomad which has the same (almost?) knobs as a Roberts R200.

The Dyna seems to be 17mm across - possibly 18mm on the R200.

Anyway, most suppliers have 15mm and 19mm but the colour can be an issue. Some say "metal" as the colour which isn't helpful and the colour rendition on my monitor isn't helped by the glint on the photos. I may buy a set of 5 as an experiment.
Graham