UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2020, 8:56 am   #21
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: F. Stephen Masek's HMV468 restoration

Threads merged.

Good detective work. That wiring error removed all negative bias from the PX4 so the poor thing would have been locked into carrying maximum current, and that explains the low audio output. I'm glad it seems to have survived and lives to play another day.

This is the best possible outcome!

David
Old 19th Oct 2020, 3:34 pm   #22
FStephenMasek
Pentode

Default Re: Success with an HMV468

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanStevens View Post
Nice work detecting the error in the wiring!

How are you running it with your 110v supply? A British radio normally runs at 240v - 50 hz.

SEAN
I have it set at 250 volts, and am using my 120 to 240 transformer. Of course, the clock will not keep time in the USA. I will almost surely take the radio back to Europe. We have a second home in Vilnius, Lithuania.
Old 21st Oct 2020, 9:23 am   #23
vinrads
Dekatron

Very nice restoration job ,love the finish on the cabinet , these sets are not for the faint hearted , well done. Mick.
Old 24th Oct 2020, 3:37 am   #24
FStephenMasek
Pentode

Thank you! Indeed, this is not one for a beginner. It has been interesting learning that the same chassis was used in quite a few different models. The fuse in the center tap of B+ has probably helped prevent many of them from being scrapped due to power transformers destroyed by bad capacitors. Do any of you have another radio with this chassis? Pictures?
Old 24th Oct 2020, 10:15 am   #25
PaulR
Dekatron

Very nice restoration. It is threads like this which provide a reference and hints for those tackling repairs on similar sets.
Old 21st Nov 2020, 11:44 pm   #26
FStephenMasek
Pentode

I aligned it today. It sounds great playing the Mandarin music station, AM690, when I took this photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201121_143756.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	220954  
Old 23rd Nov 2020, 2:41 am   #27
FStephenMasek
Pentode

I tried my hand at some blacksmith work today to make a new chassis bottom brace. I had one of the originals. I got a piece of steel, but was wondering how to bend it, as I do not have a vice. I do have some large hammers and a MAPP torch, so laid the strap on one hammer, heated the steel red hot, then used the other hammer to pound it over, then quenched it in the birdbath. I then drilled and tapped the strap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201122_165410.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	221048  
Old 28th Nov 2020, 4:44 am   #28
FStephenMasek
Pentode

It is finished, looking good and playing nicely! The plastic trim (thankfully not Tenite!) is retained by wood pieces attached to the front with tiny screws. The clock board attaches to the cabinet front with five screws, then small wood pieces are attached to it and to the cabinet top an sides with another 20 wood screws. The diamonds on the clock face are attached to the parallel rails with tiny screws. I still need to make a back. The power to our house was running high today, as I measured 250 volts going into the radio from my 120 - 240 transformer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HMV468 oblique finished.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	221397   Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV468 back finished without back.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	221398   Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV468 clock board - five screws to cabinet front.jpg
Views:	67