UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Nov 2020, 2:36 pm   #1
vampyretim
Heptode

Default Rega Planar 3 motor issues

Hi all,

I'm repairing a Rega Planar 3 which has burnt out its resistor and the 0.22uF cap looks as though it's had a hard life too. I've had this with this type of record player before. Does anyone know the correct value of the resistor?

Many thanks.
Old 30th Nov 2020, 4:45 pm   #2
percival007
Heptode

Default Re: Rega Planar 3 motor issues

There seems to be some confusion as to what the value is on-line. See here..
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...ic.php?t=76108

I have some Boards at work, I will take a look tomorrow and report back.

Best wishes,

James.
Old 30th Nov 2020, 5:17 pm   #3
ajgriff
Nonode

I think part of the confusion arises because the resistor value varied according to mains voltage in different markets. Added to this the motor was 'improved' over the years and the resistor's value changed too. From what I can gather the value for the original version of the deck introduced in 1977 was 12k 7W for a 240V UK motor.

Alan
Old 30th Nov 2020, 8:33 pm   #4
buggies
Heptode

Here's mine (not powered for years... )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rp3.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	221565  
Old 30th Nov 2020, 8:37 pm   #5
vampyretim
Heptode

Thanks, guys. I've read different values on different forums. The resistor I have starts with a red band.
Old 30th Nov 2020, 10:26 pm   #6
ajgriff
Nonode

Worth bearing in mind that colour bands on hot resistors have a tendency to change shade. Red and brown in particular can often be confused. George's 15k example might be a good guide as the resistor looks unaffected by heat.

Alan
Old 30th Nov 2020, 11:50 pm   #7
wd40addict
Octode

On a unit I fixed a few years back I went for 12k. The original was too discoloured to read. As you have found the internet couldn't agree on a value!
Old 30th Nov 2020, 11:53 pm   #8
vampyretim
Heptode

Thanks, I'll go for 15k and a new cap. Why does this fault always happen in these decks? Is there a mod that can put less strain on these components?
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 7:38 pm   #9
percival007
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyretim View Post
Thanks, I'll go for 15k and a new cap. Why does this fault always happen in these decks? Is there a mod that can put less strain on these components?
How old is the Deck? It hasn't done too badly to last this long

Sorry for my tardiness regarding replying to you. I see others have done so adequately.

Of the 3 PCB's I checked, removed from otherwise working Decks (where people wanted to 'upgrade' to the 24V DC Motor, I have found....
10.88k OHM
11.7K OHM
12K OHM

I think you'll be OK with a 15K OHM one, these Motors seem to run a little better with a slightly lower Voltage than 'advertised' !!

James.
Old 17th Dec 2020, 12:22 pm   #10
vampyretim
Heptode

Hi,

thanks for your replies. Can anyone recommend a suitable power rating?

Am having trouble finding anything but wirewounds above 3 watts.
Old 17th Dec 2020, 1:24 pm   #11
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by percival007 View Post
I think you'll be OK with a 15K OHM one, these Motors seem to run a little better with a slightly lower Voltage than 'advertised' !!
I tend to agree with James - if you check the speed of any Rega Planar turntable with a strobe you will find that it runs slightly fast. Industry gossip suggests that this was done to make Rega Planar turntables sound a little edgy - don't know if there is any truth in that?
Old 17th Dec 2020, 3:44 pm   #12
vampyretim
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldStott View Post
Quote:
I tend to agree with James - if you check the speed of any Rega Planar turntable with a strobe you will find that it runs slightly fast. Industry gossip suggests that this was done to make Rega Planar turntables sound a little edgy - don't know if there is any truth in that?
I've ordered some 7w 15k Welwyn Wirewounds and some type X2 .22uf caps rated 275 vac. I hope that does it. Every Rega Planar that I've dealt with has had this same exact fault.

Thanks for your help.
Old 17th Dec 2020, 4:07 pm   #13
vidjoman
Dekatron

It’s a common problem because of the lack of air circulation in that little plastic cover.. make sure your wire wound is clear of the plastic and not down close to the circuit board.
Old 17th Dec 2020, 8:24 pm   #14
Megatron
Pentode

Quote:
Quote:
I think this may be a bit of an urban legend. I have an RP3 that ran noticably faster than it should have. I spoke to someone at rega at the time, who knew exactly what the problem was and I had it fixed in minutes.
the bearing must have hypoid 90W EP gear oil in it. If the wrong oil is used, eg 3 in one or engine oil, or even EP85/90W synthetic oil, then there is insuffecient shear drag from the bearing to pull the motor down from synchronous speed onto the flat part of its torque curve.
having put the correct oil in my bearing and checking the speed with a strobe
powered off a calibrated separate ac source the speed was pretty much 33.333RPM at 50.0 Hz supply. with 1.5g tracking weight when playing. also timed 166 turns timed over 5 mins.
That said, changing the speed is a ball ache, so I am changing the motor for a cheap chinese 3 speed DC motor so i can play 33/45 at the flick of a switch.
The cheap DC motors are actually pretty good, mate in work has one converted and wow flutter and motor noise are A1
Old 17th Dec 2020, 8:38 pm   #15
percival007
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I think this may be a bit of an urban legend. I have an RP3 that ran noticably faster than it should have. I spoke to someone at rega at the time, who knew exactly what the problem was and I had it fixed in minutes.
the bearing must have hypoid 90W EP gear oil in it. If the wrong oil is used, eg 3 in one or engine oil, or even EP85/90W synthetic oil, then there is insuffecient shear drag from the bearing to pull the motor down from synchronous speed onto the flat part of its torque curve.
having put the correct oil in my bearing and checking the speed with a strobe
powered off a calibrated separate ac source the speed was pretty much 33.333RPM at 50.0 Hz supply. with 1.5g tracking weight when playing. also timed 166 turns timed over 5 mins.
That said, changing the speed is a ball ache, so I am changing the motor for a cheap chinese 3 speed DC motor so i can play 33/45 at the flick of a switch.
The cheap DC motors are actually pretty good, mate in work has one converted and wow flutter and motor noise are A1

The applied Voltage though has no relation to the Speed,untill it gets so low it stalls.
The Speed is down to the applied supply Frequency. Which is never a constant 50Hz.

My comment about running better on a reduced voltage was because there seems to be slightly less mechanical vibrations when run at lower than 230V AC
I have never experienced REGA's to run fast. Always pretty accurate when I measure them (about 3 to 4 units a week)

James.
Old 17th Dec 2020, 9:40 pm   #16
Megatron
Pentode

I agree I rekon with the right oil theyre spot on speed wise at 50Hz supply frequency. the problem with mine was the oil was non existent allowing the motor to run at near synchronous speed which is higher than 33.3 rpm it ran at 34 rpm it is apparently a really common problem.
These aren,t synchronous motors though i think theyre asynchronous so run below synchronous speed except when there is zero load, when they run at near synchronous. The oil gives that tiny load required to make the motor work in its torque band.

An asynchronous motor sped up to synchronous speed will draw no current, over speed it and it will generate power and push it back into the grid. they cant work as a motor or generator without some slip.

Dropping the voltage will slow the motor down, but no more than a few percent, once slip get over a certain small percentage, as you say the motor will just stall.

Last edited by Megatron; 17th Dec 2020 at 9:45 pm.
Old 17th Dec 2020, 10:04 pm   #17
chriswood1900
Octode

Megatron "That said, changing the speed is a ball ache, so I am changing the motor for a cheap chinese 3 speed DC motor so i can play 33/45 at the flick of a switch."

Can you point me to where I might get the DC motor please.
Old 17th Dec 2020, 10:16 pm   #18
percival007
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswood1900 View Post
Megatron "That said, changing the speed is a ball ache, so I am changing the motor for a cheap chinese 3 speed DC motor so i can play 33/45 at the flick of a switch."

https://www.rega.co.uk/dealers
Old 17th Dec 2020, 10:32 pm   #19
bikerhifinut
Octode

Depending on whether you feel its worth the investment, ALL Regas can be converted/upgraded to the current 24VAC spec with one of the factory electronic speed controls, which basically synthesise the AC feed to the motor from a highly accurate frequency generator which is adjustable for those with a sufficiently accurate means of measuring RPM. And speed control at the push of a switch.
Of course there are folk on here clever enough to design and build their own frequency generator and AC feed to the motor.
As an aside, as far as I know, Rega never made a turntable with a DC motor.

I've had a couple of regas through my hands, an original Planar3 and I also own a well used but loved P7 which has the later motor and PSU upgrade and that's rock solid on speed.

Andy.
Old 18th Dec 2020, 6:22 pm   #20
Megatron
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswood1900 View Post

look on amazon. theyre about £6-£10 very generic 3 speed motors.
not a straight swap though, you will need access to a pillar drill and a lathe.
you will need to make a larger sub platter or it will be too fast, or you could make a smaller pulley for the motor which will be not much larger than the spindle. also a mounting plate and rubber mountings need fabricating for the motor and a dc supply. I havent done mine yet, but a mate in work has done a few. i ordered a couple of motors last week so we will see how it progresses.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASHATA-Turn...8311720&sr=8-2
Closed Thread