UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2020, 5:45 pm   #1
invsradio
Diode

Default Ford P21 car radio

Hi, anyone got schematics or know of a source? Searched and can’t find anything myself
Cheers
Old 29th Nov 2020, 6:01 pm   #2
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Re: Ford P21 car radio

Unless you know someone in a Ford authorised repair workshop, sorry to say that your chances are nil to non existant. I used to have the same problem with Ford ICE years ago.

What is the actual problem with the P21? It might be possible to give some repair advice.
Dave
Old 29th Nov 2020, 6:25 pm   #3
invsradio
Diode

Hi, 12 volts coming out of both speaker wires and no sound
It’ll keep me busy if no info at least
Old 30th Nov 2020, 5:57 am   #4
electronicskip
Nonode

I think the Ford p21 was made by Hitachi ?
You might be able to track down a schematic by going down the Hitachi road.
Old 30th Nov 2020, 8:24 am   #5
toshiba tony
Heptode

Unless the output stage is in bridge configuration I'd be very worried about 12v on any speaker lead.
Old 30th Nov 2020, 8:45 am   #6
Radio Wrangler

With bridge configuration, I'd expect half of the supply voltage as the DC on each output. Bridge output is pretty common to get the sort of power people want without special power supplies.

David
Old 30th Nov 2020, 12:42 pm   #7
G6ONEDave
Octode

Probably a faulty output chip and or wrong external connections to the radio. If it uses the same connections as the 86FB-18K876-AB radio cassette with a row of 8 pins over a verticle fuse holder, which is in turn over a row of 7 pins, then the connections are if looking with the fuse to the right of block externally, top 8 pins left to right; 1&2 left front speaker, 3&4 left rear speaker, 5&6 right front speaker and 7&8 right rear speaker. The bottom row left to right are; pin 1 memory back-up aleways +12v, pin 2 n/c, pin 3 +volts from car ignition switch 'accessories', pin 4 car instrumentation (panel lights in radio) lighting supply, pin 5 n/c, pin 6 car negative chassis, pin 7 auto aerial supply output. This info is from my own notes and it might be possible that I have the top and bottom transposed, my notes don't show which way up the connector actually is. Hope this might be of some help though.

BTW most of my info has the Ford part number as a reference, so if you can post the number on your, I can check further to see if I have any notes about it.
Dave
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 1:17 pm   #8
Stuart R
Heptode

Wasn't the P21 the most basic radio in the Ford 'ICE' range of the 70/80s?

A simple AM, push-button set, I think the rear connections were a spade lug attached to the case for negative earth, and a small black moulding on the rear containing a large spade for power in, a small spade to drive an electric aerial and a single 2 pin DIN socket for the loudspeaker.

That info doesn't help the OP, but might keep things on-track....

Regards,

SR
Closed Thread