UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2020, 9:50 am   #41
Simondm
Pentode

Default Re: BBC Turntable - possible to use at home ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondm View Post
By the way, do wee possibly have friends in common or is it my somewhat suggestible imagination?
I was attached to Bristol in 1981 for a few months on the SCPD training tour, before I got out and went to Transcription Service. I remember meeting Peter Copeland without realising who he was - I'd have bored him rigid about the Goon Show if I had! - and watching Brian Fickling carding out on a Quadruplex machine, but not much else.
I remember SCPD guys coming to visit, so we might have met, but I was mistaken in my original surmise. I have fond memories of both Brian and Peter - Brian was unflappable in VT for regional TV news (of which I did a lot), and on OBs - our three camera unit "BLU" had a couple of VPR2s in the back.

Pete Copeland was a good friend, whom I worked for and then with for many years, You probably know that apart from the Goons and Hancock he was an expert on disc technology and an avid record collector and recordist. He published a very readable historical overview of recording techniques, "Sound Recordings" (British Library 0-7123-0225-5), and his memoirs* (which his wife and friends organised for publication posthumously), but sadly he died before he could finish his magnum opus on the subject of audio restoration, written whilst he was at the National Sound Archive/British Library. There was talk that the BL would publish it albeit incomplete, but I haven't heard anything recently.

To get swiftly back on-topic, Typically, hearing me grumbling, Peter dug into his basement and provided "proper" fader knobs for our "lightweight" SP10 units (ex-Type "B" kit, I think), as they originally only came with a handle and tiny metal pointer. So when I bought mine via eBay decades later, I had a second bit of evidence that it was indeed one I'd used in anger in the Bristol dubbing theater!
Quote:
Quote:
The only annoying thing is that the PSU will still have to be external. I tried all sorts of mucking about to find a home for it inside the woodwork, but it's impossible, because of the space the Quad 33 takes up.
Given the external hum field of that PSU, a bit of distance from the pickup is no bad thing...
Good point - haven't got that far yet. That, presumably, is why Panasonic went down that route originally - much cheaper than a lot of shielding.

Cheers, S.

*Memoirs of a Record Collector and Sound Recording Engineer: The Autobiography of Peter Copeland (1942 - 2006) It is mostly autobiographical, and not highly technical, and sadly without illustrations (or at least it hadn't any when I downloaded it).
Old 29th Nov 2020, 2:30 pm   #42
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
but sadly he died before he could finish his magnum opus on the subject of audio restoration, written whilst he was at the National Sound Archive/British Library. There was talk that the BL would publish it albeit incomplete, but I haven't heard anything recently.
It depends on what you mean by "finish" - the tome went through several drafts as technques advanced - the complete text (Google "Manual of Analogue Sound Restoration") is available as a free download from the BL.
Old 29th Nov 2020, 5:37 pm   #43
Simondm
Pentode

Thanks - most of our conversations with Peter's widow are about bird watching these days (as she is secretary of our local ornithology club), and it's only this thread that reminded me of it.

I will certainly do that!

Most grateful,

S.
Closed Thread