UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2020, 12:35 am   #1
Steve_Bell
Hexode

Default Garrard SP25 Mk IV

I recently purchased a Garrard SP25 mk iv turntable, destined to replace one in a radiogram. It looked to be in very good condition, so I hooked it up and played records to test it. There was a Stanton 500 mk ii cartridge fitted but the stylus was broken, so I fitted an Ortofon M20FL super (all that I had available!).

This was fed into a £20 cheapo, battery-operated, preamp then fed to the Aux input on my Bose internet radio.

And guess what; it sounds great! Surely the lowest-fi chain one could subject the Ortofon cartridge to but, in my defence, I have ordered a replacement stylus for the Stanton.

I think I will keep the Garrard as a separate turntable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	220389   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	220390   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	220391   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	220392   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	220393  

Old 15th Nov 2020, 12:41 am   #2
trickie_dickie
Hexode

Default Re: Garrard SP25 Mk IV

I have two of them in my attic from the days when I was a DJ.
Old 15th Nov 2020, 4:44 pm   #3
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Bell View Post
.... Surely the lowest-fi chain one could subject the Ortofon cartridge to....
Hi, I've used Ortofon cartridges in SP25 MkII Decks in the past and had no issues.
SP25's traditionally came (if) fitted with either Goldring or Shure Cartridges, Otofon's were often sugggested in terms of an upgrade by some Hi-Fi dealers back in the day when we had "proper" Hi-Fi shops.

Andrew
Old 4th Dec 2020, 2:11 pm   #4
clockman
Pentode

i allso have one in my loft i serviced to work fine but do not need it has a shure cartridge but the plastic cover is damaged am still finding stuff not needed but cant part with TAB
Closed Thread