UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 20th Oct 2020, 3:06 pm   #1
electronicskip
Octode

Default Prestel Items still wanted.

As some of you may remember i am trying to preserve information and equipment relating to the Post office Prestel service.

I am still looking for anything Prestel related if anyone can help me please .

Thanks in advance.
Old 20th Oct 2020, 4:10 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Prestel Items still wanted.

Are you thinking of creating a Prestel-type system that can be accessed remotely?
Old 20th Oct 2020, 4:36 pm   #3
electronicskip
Octode

Im really trying to preserve anything to do with the system , but ultimately that would be a possibility, but equipment seems to be rare, ive got a couple of terminals and modems plus some other bits .
Old 20th Oct 2020, 5:38 pm   #4
john_newcombe
Pentode

I appreciate it is the kit you are after, but have you seen Telstar, it should work with the terminals you have, assuming they work.

https://glasstty.com/wiki/index.php/...ideotex_System
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	telstar.png
Views:	34
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	218444  
john_newcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2020, 5:48 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Having looked at Telstar before, I didn't find a way of dialling in to it from a V23 modem, despite its claim that you can.

Like electronicskip, I have a couple of potential means to access Prestel, but I've never managed to find anything to connect to.
Old 20th Oct 2020, 6:32 pm   #6
john_newcombe
Pentode

The number is 01756 664433, there is a couple of videos on the GlassTTY youtube channel that demontsrate it with a few different devices.

https://youtu.be/MFkFPfOnGWo
https://youtu.be/_WIpLkSPIeY
john_newcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2020, 6:33 pm   #7
Philips210
Octode

Hi.

Back in the 1980s I purchased a surplus Prestel decoder with MODEM from Sendz Components. It was made by ITT and was intended to be linked to a slightly modified ITT 16" colour set fitted with the CVC40 chassis. I also obtained the TV chassis from Sendz and built a terminal. It worked very well but the cost of using the service was prohibitive. It was eventually dismantled and used for other projects.

There was also a version that Philips built based on their KT3 and or the CTX chassis I believe. Thorn also had a Viewdata set which I believe used the 9600 chassis from around 1979.

Mullard (Philips) produced dedicated modules for Prestel and Viewdata as well as Teletext. Amongst those was a MODEM board Line Terminating Unit LTU from memory. Some of the ICs used for Teletext were also used for Viewdata such as the the SAA5050 ROM character generator.
There was a good publication by Mullard from 1981 that featured their Viewdata modules and associated circuits. I think it was entitled something along the lines Teletext and Viewdata Circuits the LUCY Generation. I used to have that journal and I'm still looking to find one again. In the journal, there was also a test circuit for generating Teletext ISTR.

There is probably some limited information in TELEVISION magazine from the late 1970s through to the 1980s.

Regards,
Symon
Philips210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2020, 8:29 pm   #8
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Thanks for the number. I shall have to get a terminal up and running and try connecting to it.

Apologies to electronskip that none of this is helping him to expand his collection of Prestel hardware, though may well be helpful in making use of such equipment he may either acquire or already have.
Old 20th Oct 2020, 8:49 pm   #9
Buzby123
Pentode

In my attic I've got a Tandata TD1100 which I aquired when we were moving offices, many years ago.

I've never plugged it in, because I didn't really know what is was. It has got a big jack plug type connector on a long lead, and a UHF socket on the back.

Watching the videos in #6, I saw a TD1400.

Is my TD1100 something similar ?.
Buzby123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2020, 7:03 am   #10
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Presumably, the jack plug is a "Plug no. 420", as shown here, between the earlier (and bigger) 404 and the modern BT plugs.
Old 21st Oct 2020, 8:58 am   #11
G6ONEDave
Hexode

I remember Willowvale Electronics tried to get their customers to use this service with a supplied Philips data terminal system. I did not bother at the time as I could not see any real benefit, much rather talk to someone or send by fax for standard phone charges.
Dave
G6ONEDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2020, 11:00 am   #12
electronicskip
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
Thanks for the number. I shall have to get a terminal up and running and try connecting to it.

Apologies to electronskip that none of this is helping him to expand his collection of Prestel hardware, though may well be helpful in making use of such equipment he may either acquire or already have.
Indeed it is useful, information on Prestel does seem to be a little thin.
Ive been looking for a Prestel TV for some while but with little success, the ones that have come up seem to be on the other side of the country!

I remember selling them back in the day too.
So still looking for anything Prestel related from books to hardware.
Old 21st Oct 2020, 7:04 pm   #13
MotorBikeLes
Octode

It must be about 5 or so years since I spoke to David Whitworth (Sendz) but he was still trading. I wanted a chip for an LCD TV sound output, and he had it.
I visited him a few times in the '80s and bought loads of stuff from him. My point is that it was such chaos that it is quite likely he may still have some of those units mentioned earlier.
Les.
MotorBikeLes is offline   Reply With Quote