UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2022, 8:32 pm   #61
Aub
Nonode

Default Re: Scott Mills to replace Steve Wright on BBC Radio 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Yeah, come back Mike Raven...

Lawrence.
Yes indeed. I remember his R&B show on Sunday evenings in 1969.

Aub
Old 4th Jul 2022, 8:56 pm   #62
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies View Post
I am a big fan of Steve Wrights and his Big show since his Radio 1 days. I like the fact he is so upbeat, positive, has interesting guests the factoids and plays some good music, even though he does talk over start, ends etc.

He has been brightening up my days for many years and I shall miss him and his team.
I'd second that.

I've been quite taken aback at the extent to which - in this thread - so many members dislike Steve Wright and the afternoon show. One thing that always stands out to my mind, is how kind, respectful and courteous he is towards guests - he always puts them at their ease, never tries to score points or make cheap shots at their expense.(I'd say the same about Tony Blackburn, back in the day when he had lots of airtime. Never tried to be a 'Smart Alec' in the Jonathan Ross mould).

I think Steve Wright goes well with Janie Lee Grace (interesting background) and Tim Smith, and I enjoy 'factoids' and the non-stop oldies. Overall, I find the programme light-hearted, informal and natural, which is no bad thing in a troubled world.

But there you go, on the forum at any rate, mine is a minority view.

Unlike (Sir) Jimmy Young, when he wore his welcome out, Steve Wright has accepted the move with good grace, wished his successor well and knows he's had a good innings. Young on the other hand, who had been on R1 from 1967 - 1973, then R2 from 1973 - 2002, wrote a newspaper column attacking his former employer of 35 years for instances of "brutality", making clear that it had not been his idea to leave. He declined lunch with his successor and the pair never met. A rather sad end to a long career.

For goodness sake, he was 81, and could have bowed out gracefully. The mystery to me is how he lasted so long, and got a knighthood out of it too. If we live long enough, we reach an age at which - when we look in the mirror - what we see is all we'll ever be. If we can't accept it, we should stop looking in mirrors. Most of us are able to do that - some struggle with it.

As to other presenters, I enjoy listening to Popmaster, but I find Ken Bruce irritating beyond measure. To me, he's a waffler who comes across like a Terry Wogan clone/'tribute act', with silly banter and corny quips with those who report on weather and traffic instead of letting them get on with it.

I was also surprised to note that Sarah Cox is to get an extra hour, starting from 4pm for a full three hours. Really? She's a nice enough lass, but I just feel that she strives to put on a performance, trying to be 'cool' and act like something that she isn't, so I'll have to reach for the 'off' switch at 4pm now instead of 5pm.

I guess I'm not in the demographic that R2 is aiming at.

Most of the time I just listen to 'Greatest Hits Radio' or R4.

Just my thoughts - I don't expect others to concur with them.
Old 4th Jul 2022, 8:58 pm   #63
Half a Mullard
Hexode

I must agree with many of the points made especially about all requests seem to include - Love the Show - one wonders if they would be played otherwise.
Also apart from Chris Evans, Steve Wright is one of the worst offenders for interrupting the music before it has finished or cutting the song short.
I think respect the music is the correct phrase.
I also agree about the group chatter, it does come over as very self indulgent at times and can be difficult to understand when they are all talking over each other.
Old 4th Jul 2022, 10:47 pm   #64
jamesperrett
Octode

The one thing that makes me feel positive towards Steve Wright is that he played our single in his unsigned band slot when he was on Radio One. Nothing really came of it but it was a great surprise to hear it as I was driving to work that morning.

I much preferred Steve Wright to Chris Evans though I found SW more annoying on Radio 2 than I did when he was on Radio 1.
Old 5th Jul 2022, 6:56 am   #65
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I admit I am not a fan of SW, the one thing that really annoyed me was his "celebrity interviews". These were presented as though he was actually interviewing said celebrity when in fact he had obtained, presumably paid for, an interview done by someone else with the original questions silenced out. SW would read a script of the questions and insert the questions as though he was actually asking them.
It was the basic dishonesty of it that got me.

Peter
Old 5th Jul 2022, 8:04 am   #66
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Sorry Steve, you are right, I should have left it at "ignorant". I do like to hear the end of tracks though.

Last edited by HamishBoxer; 5th Jul 2022 at 8:13 am.
Old 5th Jul 2022, 8:13 am   #67
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I'm not going to voice my opinions here, as I feel that I might upset several of my esteemed UKVRR colleagues!
Old 5th Jul 2022, 8:49 am   #68
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I'm not going to voice my opinions here, as I feel that I might upset several of my esteemed UKVRR colleagues!
It's a split opinion, you'll only upset half of them?! But seriously, every member's view is valid, pipe up!
Old 5th Jul 2022, 8:58 am   #69
Panda23
Pentode

I enjoy listening to Ken Bruce and Steve Wright on Radio 2, so will miss hearing Steve in the week. I must admit to changing station when Jeremy Vine comes on, as it's all a bit of a 'misery fest'.... Amanda
Old 5th Jul 2022, 10:04 am   #70
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I think Jeremy Vine is just an 'ain't it awful?' wind-up merchant - audible 'click-bait'.

I enjoyed the Jeremy Vine impersonator on SW - he sounded more like Jeremy Vine than did Jeremy Vine.

Also, the Alan Bennett impersonator, who had him off to a tee.

As to likes and dislikes, I much preferred Simon Mayo's 'Drive Time' after Steve Wright to Sarah Cox.

Like Steve, (but unlike Sarah, to my mind), he sounded natural and normal - not 'putting on a performance'.

But there you go - BBC thought otherwise.

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEksskddJjM

Or this?:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0018pdv

Errm?

Maybe it's just me.

Whether it's TV or radio, BBC are on the ropes chasing the ratings, aiming to be all things to all people, remembering of course that BBC radio is funded from the TV licence revenue, as well as funding TV. Ever more 'niche' stations often catering for particular genre on digital and internet are etching away at BBC's listenership. 'Titanic' and 'deck chairs' come to mind.

The 'RAJAR' (Radio Joint Audience Research) ratings make interesting reading.

It shows what 'slices of the cake' all stations, both BBC and Commercial, manage to attract:

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2021/10/fac...%20DAB%20radio.

RAJAR tables:

https://radiotoday.co.uk/rajar/

Long gone are the days when 'choice' meant BBC 'Home, Light & Third Programme', Radio Luxemburg or the 'Off' switch.

Like or not, according to the new data, listening via DAB is now the most popular means of all radio listening accounting for 43% of all listening (and 65% of digital listening), exceeding listening via AM/FM which now accounts for 34.2% of listening. Listening via online and apps accounts for 18.1% of all listening (and 27.5% of digital listening) and listening via DTV accounts for 4.7% of all listening (and 7.2% of digital listening).

The new data shows that 41 million adults, or 74% of the population aged 15+, now tune into digital radio every week, and 69% claim to own or have access to a DAB radio.

Interesting to note that the most popular digital-only BBC station is BBC 6 Music with 2.687 million listeners, and KISSTORY, the most popular commercial digital-only station, with 2.255 million listeners. BBC Radio 4 Extra is the third most popular with 2.036 million listeners, followed by BBC Radio 5 live sports extra with 1.697 million listeners. Other stations in the top 10 most popular digital-only station include Absolute 80s (1.690 million listeners); Virgin Radio (1.631 million listeners); and Heart 80s (1.493 million listeners).

Hope that's of interest, albeit a bit off the topic of Steve Wright.
Old 5th Jul 2022, 11:47 am   #71
Panda23
Pentode

I do agree with you David, about Simon Mayos 'drive time'. I really enjoyed listening to him, and yes I have to agree, his show was much more natural than 'Sarah Cox' which is a bit of a performance . I do miss Simons' drive time slot.
Regards
Amanda
Old 5th Jul 2022, 11:56 am   #72
stevehertz
Dekatron

Yes, Sarah Cox does go over the top a bit in her quest to 'entertain'. Unlike SW who is a natural presenter.
Old 5th Jul 2022, 12:04 pm   #73
Martin Bush
Octode

I'm not sure this is a vintage technology discussion, but I am glad it is being had.

I have enjoyed Steve Wright over the years. I don't get time to listen to him these days, but when I do I enjoy his style.

I used to listen to Scott Mills in the days when I listened to Radio One. He's OK - let's see how he does.

What I don't like with this sort of schedule change, particularly nowadays, is the idea that change is needed and good people and good shows go by the wayside. I am still young according to Radio 2's supposed demographic, but I do like it how it was to a large extent.

My particular favourites on Radio 2 are Liza Tarbuck and Rylan - both are very good and engaging broadcasters with really enjoyable shows.

What worries me is that I left Radio One behind and found Radio Two more to my liking. Now, a few years on, Radio One seems to be following me. Let's hope they don't catch me in a pincer movement by getting a few slots on Radio Caroline...

While on the subject of Wrighty and his "Love the show" stuff, Sarah Kennedy used to lightly mock him by ending all messages she read out from listeners with "SW's", which meant "Steve Wrights" (in reference to his 'Love the show' catchphrase).
Old 5th Jul 2022, 12:48 pm   #74
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Off work ill at the moment so just resting up.
Whilst doing this have been thinking that 40 years ago when I was listening to Steve Wright on Radio 1 it would have been on Medium Wave 275m/285m or 1089 KHz/1053 KHz. It most certainly would have been via either my ITT Colt portable transistor radio, which I am still using today, my valved radio HMV 1124 or a variety of car radios most were AM only in those days.
Old 5th Jul 2022, 1:07 pm   #75
Beobloke
Heptode

It is interesting that several posters have mentioned the 'Factoids' feature.

This was always one of the few aspects of the show i did enjoy, until the time came when a few factoids were offered up on subjects that I do actually know about.

Without exception, all of them were complete rubbish, which now makes me wonder how trustworthy any of the others are!
Old 5th Jul 2022, 2:47 pm   #76
The Philpott
Dekatron

-As far as i can tell, SW didn't let his ego get in the way; the 'afternoon boys' zoo type format (in my opinion) got turned on it's head and ruined by Chris Evans, who i recall actually started bullying his cronies on air....allowed too much autonomy and got out of control...then started turning up late.

I suppose the ultimate voice of the millions would be John Peel:

'I've got a Peaches album here which is really rather good, i'd like to play a track or two but unfortunately we're going to have to skip it because there's too much swearing.'

Dave
Old 5th Jul 2022, 3:10 pm   #77
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronpusher0 View Post
the one thing that really annoyed me was his "celebrity interviews". These were presented as though he was actually interviewing said celebrity when in fact he had obtained, presumably paid for, an interview done by someone else with the original questions silenced out. SW would read a script of the questions and insert the questions as though he was actually asking them.
This used to wind me up no end on local radio. You could spot them a mile off. In fact I have a few NAB reels of tape with a lot of interview responses with 80s pop acts, presumably to stations could do just the above caper.
Old 5th Jul 2022, 3:35 pm   #78
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
It is interesting that several posters have mentioned the 'Factoids' feature.

This was always one of the few aspects of the show i did enjoy, until the time came when a few factoids were offered up on subjects that I do actually know about.

Without exception, all of them were complete rubbish, which now makes me wonder how trustworthy any of the others are!
I never took much notice of the Factoids. I have always been a bit sceptical of this sort of stuff – especially in popular media.

I remember working in a place when a subject came up on the Jeremy Vine show that several of us knew about in great depth. An unbelievable amount of utter garbage was talked. I used to call the JV Show the hysteria hour – except, unfortunately, it was two hours – but then, in line with the populist style of the recent/current Radio 2, this sensationalist approach is what used to be called tabloid journalism and I think now is referred to as ‘red top’.

I still miss Jimmy Young.
Old 5th Jul 2022, 3:50 pm   #79
radio69
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
If we live long enough, we reach an age at which - when we look in the mirror - what we see is all we'll ever be. If we can't accept it, we should stop looking in mirrors. Most of us are able to do that - some struggle with it.
Very wise words, if I may say...
Old 5th Jul 2022, 6:55 pm   #80
Brigham
Octode

Has anybody noticed how good the background music is, in Steve Wright's afternoon talk show?
Closed Thread