UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2020, 10:23 am   #21
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Matsui saved...

I think that was a different Matsui that was subject to a recall where the mains barrier was compromised. The thread was originally concerning the 1420/40/80 series of receivers which were very reliable and predictable in their habits. The Onwa chassis had the poor capacitors, but I've never known them cause a fire.
To go back to the Matsuis, did anyone else find the picture on the text version (1480) gave the impression of a flat tube? It must have been the processing in the decoder as the tubes were always fine.
Old 4th Jul 2020, 11:12 am   #22
AJSmith625
Pentode

The only Matsui tv I remember where there was a safety issue, that was subject to a re-call was a very early 14 inch colour portable. I cannot remember the model number and whether there was a Saisho equivalent. This was not due to the set catching fire. It was because this model was just before SCART sockets were becoming popular. It had A/V input via phono sockets on the back which were coupled into circuit via optocouplers. There was a small slide switch to select between TV and AV next to these sockets. The use of optocouplers for mains isolation did not comply with British electrical safety standards so we had to remove all the wiring between the sockets and the main PCB. A sticker printed in red saying 'This facility does not apply to this model' was stuck next to the A/V phono sockets and another in the instruction booklet on all unsold stock sets. Otherwise this was still quite a reliable set.

Alan.
Old 4th Jul 2020, 11:49 am   #23
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Strangely I can't remember ever seeing a Teletext version of the 14" chassis. I must have had them through the workshop but time can eliminate memories. John
Old 4th Jul 2020, 1:04 pm   #24
MALC SCOTT
Octode

The Matsui 1460/2060 had the A/V inputs disconected because they were live. Every set had to be modified, was phono socket input. The text 1480 did lack a bit of sparkle picture wise. The main problem with this 1420/1440/1480 range of Orion sets was the STR50103 reg ic. Replacing the reg/5.6 ohm 5w/SR2 diode was the cure. The ic failed due to poor heat sink compound. A small pot of blue type was supplied with each new ic. Very reliable sets, Malc.
Old 4th Jul 2020, 1:31 pm   #25
AJSmith625
Pentode

Thank you Malc for coming up with the model number of this set-1460, but I couldn't remember the 2060 which would have been the 20 inch version. All I do remember was spending days doing this safety mod at the Great Barr workshop. Must have been around 1984 just after the Dixons takeover.

Alan.
Closed Thread