UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 9th Jan 2024, 8:19 pm   #1
Hampus
Pentode

Default Swedish teletext 45 years

In todays newspaper there was an article (in Swedish) about teletext in Sweden, or as we call it here, text-tv. It was 45 years ago it was introduced by the public broadcaster, second in the world after BBC. It is still going and is therefore the longest going teletext in the world.

It is of course not as popular as it was say 30 years ago but it is still used by many. Sports results, news, weather and TV program is still published continously.

I can't say I am using it but I like that some things stay as I have always remembered it.

There is even an online version of it
https://www.svt.se/text-tv/100
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skärmklip1p.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	290744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skärmklipp.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	290745  
Hampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2024, 1:50 am   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Swedish teletext 45 years

So how is Teletext being deployed today in Sweden, given it's transmitted in the vertical blanking interval of an analogue TV signal?

Attempting to answer my own question, it could be that some digital set top boxes have a Teletext encoder within the chip-set and can source the data from a digital stream and insert it into the VBI of the CVBS output.
Early itterations of our Sky Digibox did this.
Graham G3ZVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2024, 9:58 am   #3
Richardgr
Heptode

Living in Sweden, I think the thing that has kept it going in subtitling in English. I don't have a TV anymore, but it used to be 888 I think.
Richardgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2024, 10:37 am   #4
marceljack
Pentode

In digital TV transmissions (DVB-T or T2) teletext is transmitted as ancillary data which are decoded in software in today's TVs.
It can be re-encoded as traditional teletext and inserted in the VBI of the CVBS output of external STBs used with old analog TVs.
marceljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2024, 11:57 am   #5
winston_1
Heptode

Most DVB-T boxes can do this apart from the ones sold in the UK branded Freeview. Several countries in Europe still broadcast traditional teletext. If you have a satellite receiver and can receive German channels from Astra your modern TV should be able to decide the teletext if you connect the sat receiver via scart (not HDMI).
winston_1 is offline   Reply With Quote