UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2010, 8:54 am   #1
FIXITNOW
Octode

Default Barclay valve radio (ex Yugoslavian)

Barclay valve radio (ex Yugoslavian)
model am table top
found round local boot this weekend sadly no knobs and volume pot shaft snapped ! but it was only £1

any one help with a service sheet thanks

The valve line up is ECH81 (X2), EL84, EZ80, & EM80. There is a range of white push-buttons on the front.

Black curved rectangular wooden case light brown plastic speaker
as here
http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/barclay.html
cheers
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 1:33 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Barclay valve radio (ex Yugoslavian)

Interesting valve lineup.... presumably the second ECH81 is used as heptode IF and triode 1st AF. The common cathode must need some decent decoupling, though. I wonder how any AGC is implemented?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 2:18 pm   #3
kalee20
Dekatron

Quite agree! And what is used as detector, AVC-producer, and EM80 indicator control voltage? Perhaps there's a Westector diode or two, or some of this new-fangled germanium stuff, under the chassis - the link has a photo of something looking very much like that.
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 2:38 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

There are a few of these knocking around and they work very well. Another brand they come under is 'Majestic'. They do have a diode for detection.

I fixed mine without a manual, mainly because I couldn't find one.

Resistors O/C and Smoothing Can in mine.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 3:01 pm   #5
MALC SCOTT
Octode

I have the Majestic version. Nice set, performs very well.
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 10:01 pm   #6
telstar
Octode

Hi. I have also a Barclay radio. It was made by Elektronska Industrija in former Yugoslavia on export to U.K. The home model is E.I RR230C. I might have a copy of the RR230 model somewhere.
The cord drive for the tuning capacitor is a bit of a nuiscence to re-string, as it has three loops.
Regards
Mike
Old 2nd Jan 2012, 2:43 pm   #7
telstar
Octode

Hi FIXITNOW. At long last I have managed to find the service data for the RR230 radio made by E.I in the former Yugoslavia. There are 8 photocopies of the circuit diagram, plus a picture of the radio receiver itself. Are you still interested in copies of it? This model, I have been informed, is the equivalent of the Barclay radio, which was exported to the U.K in 1964.
Please let me know by p.message?
Cheers
Mike
Old 3rd Jan 2012, 9:26 pm   #8
david3006
Tetrode

Hi All,
Interesting to hear about the Barclay/ Majestic . I have on the bench a Yugoslav 'Maestro' which has a different lineup, ECC85 for the VHF head, ECH 82, EF89, EABC80, EL84, also EZ80 rectifier and EM84 magic eye.
I've replaced the smoothers, but the AF is very cranky when injecting AF into the pickup sockets, and the HT is at 300v instead of 250 (I have the circuit, still in an envelope stuck to the inside of the back panel!). I think the biasing of the EL84 is wrong, thus little current flowing, thus the high HT.
However, only just starting fault finding having fixed the HT supply.. put it originally on the variac and the EZ80 was getting hot, and low HT so I think the smoothers were duff.
This is only the second mains valve set I've had a go at (the first was a Stella/Philips) so wish me luck.

David
Old 5th Jan 2012, 8:01 pm   #9
telstar
Octode

Hi. Good to know that there are other Yugoslavian radios turn up occasionally.
The Barclay set seems to turn up more frequently than before. It is a nice variation on the "piano key" radios.
It's a wonder that someone hasn't written a book about the variation of valve radios that employ push button switching!
This is my second Barclay radio to repair (I have not touched the first one - with the drive cord rewind). I think that one also had an o/c h.t smoother coil (section of the o/p transformer primary winding), from what I remember.
Cheers
Mike
Closed Thread