UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 24th Jan 2024, 10:23 am   #1
Matt (newbie)
Diode

Default Kolster Brandes Royal Star Television

Hi,

I'm new here, but wondering if anybody has any advice...I recently bought a KB Royal Star tv, got it for £30. I have absolutely no knowledge or understanding of any of the technical requirements or language when it comes to these things, but theoretically is it possible for this to be in any way restored/adapted to work? Obviously there's no analogue TV etc any more, but just wondering what kind of price I'd be looking at to make it workable (the previous owner stated the following "The TV powers up, but not all the valves light up, and after a minute powered on, there was a slight burning smell. The speaker crackles when the volume is increased".

I've not tried it myself so far, only got it yesterday.

If not it's a lovely decoration piece, but would be amazing for it to work in some way.

I've (if I've done it right...) attached a photo of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240123_093749.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	291501  
Matt (newbie) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2024, 11:38 am   #2
radiomarktv
Pentode

Default Re: Kolster Brandes Royal Star Television

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Please don't be tempted to power the set up especially as the previous owner has stated there was a slight burning smell.
The set will need to be checked over by an engineer who knows how to deal with these sets. You can post a request in the relevant section.

To get a picture on the screen a 405 line standards converter will need to be used.
These can be purchased from Freya (Stephen who builds them) who's on this forum. Look under the section of 'Television Standards Converters and Modulators' for details.

Mark.
radiomarktv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2024, 12:03 pm   #3
radiomarktv
Pentode

Just also to take note you will need a free view box or DVD player to connect to the standards converter to view pictures.

Mark.
radiomarktv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2024, 2:48 pm   #4
Matt (newbie)
Diode

Thank you Mark, much appreciated.
Matt (newbie) is offline   Reply With Quote