UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2021, 2:22 pm   #1
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Default Vintage Electrolux Microwave.

Afternoon
Many years ago, I bought a first generation (650W) microwave oven.
Its an Electrolux (made in USA) model 56-0 884-10 - strange model number, I know.
It has a very large cooking cavity, a 1KW browning element and a plug in temperature probe.
It's still in regular use.
The other day the internal lamp which illuminates the cavity went o/c (40W MES) and having sourced a replacement, I was obliged to remove the cabinet in order to replace it.
On doing so, I discovered that the belt that drives the stirrer fan in the "roof" had disintegrated (it does not have a rotating turntable.)
This is, of course, an appliance specific part (unlike the bulb) and sourcing a substitute is proving a problem.
Googling the model number produces no hits whatsoever, even an image search produces nothing even similar.
So, I'm a bit screwed (!)
It's brown with a wood effect metal case and has a touch keypad and a green display.
Anyone ever heard of this model?
Old 20th May 2021, 2:29 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Vintage Electrolux Microwave.

What form of belt is it? Generic belts are available on eBay or you can make your own using 'O' Ring cord.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th May 2021, 7:59 pm   #3
mark_in_manc
Octode

Yes - that green round-section belting which you join with a hot knife, is really good stuff and the joint is very strong indeed. I have bought several lengths of different cross section from ebay - but only useful if you can use a round-section belt.
Old 20th May 2021, 9:49 pm   #4
emeritus
Dekatron

Another vote for hot melt polyurethane cord. I bought a range of diameters some years ago from RS and it has been very useful, not only for drive belts, but for O ring seals. The RS stuff was available in both smooth and rough, and in red and green. I found the barrel of my Henley Solon ideal for melting it.
Old 24th May 2021, 9:50 am   #5
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Thanks for the suggestions. Any idea where one might obtain a modest quantity of said hot melt polyurethane cord? All I've come up with thus far is a Chinese based seller on Ebay offering min 2mm diam min length 1m.
Using RS would be prohibitive (can't find reference to same in any event.)
All / any contributions most gratefully received