UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd May 2011, 10:29 pm   #21
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV 900 TV restoration.

Peelywally = feeling knackered
Old 22nd May 2011, 10:52 pm   #22
Big Band Heaven
Retired Dormant Member

With all that wood worm activity I would saturate all the holes with woodworm killer and then paint the inside of the cabinet and underneath with the stuff and then bag it up for a few months. Then do that again and leave for a bit before doing anything further. You wouldn't want to do any serious work on the cabinet and get it looking nice and then come down one morning to find a new hole in your new finish. I had this happen to me - which is why I always now go overboeard with treatment just to make sure.

Give you plenty of time to move onto the electronics side of things in the mean time.
Old 22nd May 2011, 11:22 pm   #23
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Heaven View Post
Then do that again and leave for a bit before doing anything further. You wouldn't want to do any serious work on the cabinet and get it looking nice and then come down one morning to find a new hole in your new finish.
Hi Big Band Heaven,
This is what exactly happened to a HMV 1851 TV/radio combi I repaired in 2008 or was it 2009? Large areas of the cabinet were chopped out in an attempt to get rid of the worm. A new cabinet floor was made and a large part of the cabinet side was replaced. Those wee creatures are difficult to get rid of.

DFWB.
Old 22nd May 2011, 11:25 pm   #24
Big Band Heaven
Retired Dormant Member

In one old HMV radiogram which had a very serious infestation I think I used two large cans of the spray stuff and then left it for 6 months to "cook". Nothing survived!
Old 23rd May 2011, 7:31 am   #25
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

HMV/EMI products are certainly liked by woodworm. I think it must be the type of animal glue used in the 1930's. J.
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:56 pm   #26
ianm
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
There seems to be some bad stuff in that dust.
Due to the damp conditions in which the set was stored, it's likely that mould spores are present. Extra special care should be taken when dealing with mould of any description, particularly in respect of inhalation.

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 23rd May 2011, 1:31 pm   #27
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Hi Frank, Hi Retired, many thanks for sending the info about the timber firms.

I've been working on the 900TV this afternoon. The badly scratched side panel does not require reveneering. It just needs sanding, fortunately the veneer is very thick so I can get rid of those deep scratches.
Sometimes you can steam the wood and make it swell up. If the wood has been crushed rather than having had lumps scratched out that can be very effective. Take a damp cloth and go along the scratches with a soldering iron. With luck you can get the surface almost flat again and won't need to sand so much away.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 23rd May 2011, 4:07 pm   #28
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: HMV 900 TV restoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired View Post

If anyone can advise me where to buy cut pieces of cabinet grade plywood in West Yorkshire I would be most obliged. Sorry to go on but trying to buy decent plywood locally caused me considerable frustration.

Kind regards, Col.
This might be one place, though usually companies like these are not interested in small private orders. Places that do supply and cut to size are DIY stores like Sainsburys Homebase and B&Q

http://www.caledonianplywood.com/manufacturing
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:20 pm   #29
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

B&Q Ply is very poor quality ,and not cheap considering this either ! Ply comes in different quality grades ,so best to do some research.
Old 24th May 2011, 9:25 am   #30
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: HMV 900 TV restoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp1968 View Post
B&Q Ply is very poor quality,,so best to do some research.
I have never looked to closely at it, I will next time I go there, usually to waste time while waiting to getting the car mot'ed, maybe that is why these places have loud irritating musak to confuse you when trying to figure out what you want, sizes and so on. But for indoor use and a part that is hidden it doesn't have to be outdoor marine ply. Wicks also having a cutting service, and there are probably smaller wood yards that can cut pieces, even a boat yard might do it if one can be found.
Old 24th May 2011, 9:35 am   #31
ianm
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofy View Post
it doesn't have to be outdoor marine ply.
In this case, I think marine ply was suggested because it is inherently of better quality. In terms of the quantity required and the value of the set, the additional cost could probably be justified.

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 24th May 2011, 10:43 am   #32
Station X

My local boatyard used to let me have offcuts of marine ply for next to nothing, but not any more. The last lot I bought came from this company, but it's a long way from the North East:-

http://www.robbins.co.uk/

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 24th May 2011, 12:41 pm   #33
Patrick Dixon
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepilot View Post
Take a damp cloth and go along the scratches with a soldering iron. With luck you can get the surface almost flat again and won't need to sand so much away.
Or use a domestic Iron.

This techinque works well on solid woods.
Old 24th May 2011, 8:31 pm   #34
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

What you need to look for in the ply is quality tight grained stuff with the outside faces having decent surfaces of fine quality .A lot of it these days even stuff described as marine ....is pretty ropey for something like cabinet work. The builders where im working at the mo have been lining a shed with some beech faced ply which looked quite good .
Some stuff I had to buy from B&Q a few months ago was awful soft timber full of faults and warped ...only good for rough work ! I do use B&Q a lot as i have a trade card and get quite a bit off the cost of stuff and they cut timber too .
Old 24th May 2011, 10:50 pm   #35
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Chipp,
I must find the correct wood for this job, the set is too valuable to use any old rubbish that might be lying around. Three parts need replacing; the upper and lower rear battens (I hope that's correct name for these parts) and the lower right side cabinet section.

Some work was done on the set yesterday. The delaminated veneer at the top edge of the cabinet has been glued using PVA. Old cross bars removed from TV stands along with G clamps were used for the task. The front veneer work will repair without too much difficulty.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV900_20.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	51519   Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV900-21.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	51520  
Old 25th May 2011, 9:21 am   #36
KEITHW
Retired Dormant Member

Hi David,

As I suggested for veneer on my earlier post on the HMV 900 pre-war TV at NVCF thread, wardrobes and all sorts of other furniture are great sources for quality material to use in a project like this.

Most towns and cities have furniture depositories where furniture can be bought for next to nothing. I appreciate that there is the hassle of tracking down exactly what you are looking for, preparing the material for use and perhaps having to fill the odd screw hole, but you will have some quality timber which is probably contemporary with the cabinet being restored and also you would have to go a long way to find any new stuff of the same quality. Then there would be the cost...

Best wishes,
Keith
Old 2nd Jun 2011, 1:53 pm   #37
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Work is held up because we have find to the correct wood for the side and rear parts of the cabinet.

However, this week I have managed to make one repro part, the loud speaker baffle.
The picture shows the second atempt. The first was a disaster, it's in the Biffa bin. The left hand part is the repro.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV900-25.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	51875  
Old 2nd Jun 2011, 4:50 pm   #38
Electrical
Hexode

I have just found an article in Television magazine October 1980 by David Looser on the refurbishment of an HMV Model 901 receiver. Its amazing that at the time the receiver was some forty years old and now another example of this type of receiver has been found and under going refurbishment some thirty years later.
Please find attached a PDF copy of the article, which describes the receivers available in 1936 and the features of this model.
I have scanned page one twice, in black and white to read the text, and again in grey scale so that you can see the pictures.
I hope you will find the article interesting.
Regards Stan.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HMV Model-901.pdf (811.8 KB, 281 views)
Old 2nd Jun 2011, 4:54 pm   #39
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I visited David Looser about 5 years ago and he still had the 901 though we didn't switch it on. David Looser (along with David Boynes) is also one of that very select group who has designed and built a 625>405 converter.
Old 2nd Jun 2011, 5:36 pm   #40
Mikey405
Octode

Quote:
The picture shows the second atempt. The first was a disaster, it's in the Biffa bin. The left hand part is the repro.

DFWB.
That's most impressive David. I realise it's only a hole in a square piece of wood but it's a lot better than I could have done.