UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2008, 4:12 pm   #101
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Default Re: Missing Sets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALC SCOTT View Post
Hi, BRC 3000/3500/8000/8500/8800/Rediffusion mk1.
The later Decca Bradford chassis as well.
Old 12th May 2008, 4:15 pm   #102
Mikey405
Octode

Hi Glyn.

I think the Tandberg CTV1 had RGB drive with 3 PL802s. I have one but it's been a long while since I opened it up and I can't exactly remember the layout. The colour has a peculiar ineffable quality about it, although it's still a very good picture. The Korting hybrid set used to be badged as Telefusion and Baird as well as Korting. My neighbour had a Baird version (presumably rented from Radio Rentals) and I remember it having a cracking picture. I was also fascinated with the valves inside when I was very young.

From Mike.

http://www.oldtechnology.net/images/...smare54660.jpg
Old 12th May 2008, 5:16 pm   #103
Maarten
Dekatron

What about the Grundig G1000 chassis? It's a relatively recent telly, made in the early nineties in cooperation with Samsung, but I haven't seen one for quite some time.
Old 12th May 2008, 5:34 pm   #104
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

Those korting sets were great that was the first tv i had but it was a baird version with i think 7 pushbuttons varicap tuner not sure now cracking pictuer
excellent sound only had a few valves the luminance transistors on the tube base gave a few problems and had a pull out speaker section for the convergence
Old 12th May 2008, 5:54 pm   #105
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

The national panasonic 14" 18" i think the 18" was a TG85 i think, it had magic line tuning
and an instant on button at the front with most of the controls were thumb turn from the bottom of the cabinet
the 14" was a ton to carry so as was the 18" with its thick rubber feet they were so reliable the pushbuttons used to go and the 10uf 450v on the timebase use to cause the pictuer to half bright and dark with flyback lines the lopt was i think sealed some how i saw a demonstratin years ago with one of these sets in a sort of fish tank contraption
they were good sets shame about the instant on though.
Old 13th May 2008, 12:56 am   #106
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

I have (for now at least) one of the 14" National sets you mentioned, it will probably be going to a new home soon.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...7&d=1210276349
I assume this is the one? There is a mains on/off switch at the bottom. The Instant On has its uses, this set was the workshop monitor for years where I used to work. It was passed on to me along with a few other sets a while before I left.

This is the Continental version and you pull a non-selected channel and rotate to select the band. It does indeed weigh a ton! The handle has thankfully been designed with this in mind, unlike some other sets I have heard about

BTW The missing silver button has now been replaced.

I've not yet convinced myself that I actually want to part with this set, but space is not limitless

BG
Old 13th May 2008, 1:23 am   #107
hans
Heptode

I think the Tandberg ctv1 had three PL802s. These valves were often substituted with transistor copies.

Havent seen a ctv1 in at least 10 years. I would like one if i cold get one.
Old 13th May 2008, 7:53 am   #108
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey405 View Post
The Korting hybrid set used to be badged as Telefusion and Baird as well as Korting. My neighbour had a Baird version (presumably rented from Radio Rentals) and I remember it having a cracking picture. I was also fascinated with the valves inside when I was very young.
There was a lower spec Körting model without the tint and tone controls, but the same chassis. It had a fibreboard back whereas the one shown by Mike had a plastic back.
They were very reliable and easy to service; all the modules could be plugged on to the back of the mother board for accessibility. A very unusual ident circuit - it had a ladder network instead of the usual LC tuned circuit.
I did an article in Television on this set, years ago.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 13th May 2008 at 12:08 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 13th May 2008, 11:52 am   #109
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGmidsUK View Post
I have (for now at least) one of the 14" National sets
No this one had a wooden cabinet and a black front never seen the model in the picture before were they common at the time.
You should try and keep it if you can
Old 13th May 2008, 2:43 pm   #110
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi there
I knew someone would know the set with three PL802s! The CTV1 had a low-temperature thermal link by the PL509 which melted when the valve overheated, didn't it? Not seen one for ages - nor any other Tandberg TV, come to that...
Nice to see there is a Korting alive and well! The Baird version had a less fussy front panel if I remember but the chassis was the same. Setting the decoder up was a bit unconventional, but did give good results.
Maarten - I have a G1000 here which is working fine - a very odd set technically, though I didn't realise it was developed in partnership with Samsung.
Glyn
Old 14th May 2008, 6:54 pm   #111
marcus 3500
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Missing Sets?

Hi Tas

Quote:
I wonder how Marcus is getting on with this set?
The HMV 8000A went with a BANG last summer A friend from Harrogate has got a scrap chassis i need to pick up but... my car is still not on the road yet. My dad goes to barley for 2 weeks on thursday. I might try to fix my car this week while he is away, i've been too scared to move it because of all the oil leaks on the block paving.

Are these the National sets that you are thinking of gec2110 ? both my sets are dated 1973/ 74.

Marcus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85 G.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	17142   Click image for larger version

Name:	National TC-42G front.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	17143  
Old 14th May 2008, 7:03 pm   #112
marcus 3500
Retired Dormant Member

These sets are ones i've never seen or are in my friends collections.

Telpro carnival C561, Saba T6794 picture in picture dated 1978, Tyne, Waltham W125, Indesit TC26LGB, Decca series 20 model CS2227, Decca series 40, Berryvision 510, Autovox 2684, EMO, Roberts version of the G9, ASA, Kuba florence, Siemens FC365.

My dads going to Bali not Barley

Marcus.

Last edited by marcus 3500; 14th May 2008 at 7:31 pm.
Old 15th May 2008, 8:15 am   #113
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Marcus
I have worked on the Emo (French), and the Kuba Florence (German). The 110 degree Kuba had a fantastic picture but terrible sound - I stuck an ex-G11 teletext decoder on one and we used it for years.

Glad you explained about Bali - I had visions of your dad sitting in a field for a fortnight.

Missing sets - how about the Swedish Philips K80 and K9? Not heard talk of many of these in UK.
We have owned both of these in the past. The K80 used two PL509s, but just in parallel, unlike the strange and wonderful arrangement in the K70.

Going back a bit, don't hear much of the HMV1890 / Ferguson 406; we had lots of these out on rental - not many problems except the Fireball tuner and the fine-tuning knob coming to pieces, as many other marques did.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 16th May 2008 at 8:11 am. Reason: Corrected Ferguson 506 to 406
Old 15th May 2008, 9:38 am   #114
hans
Heptode

ASA was bought by Finlux around 1980 and the sets made after the takeover are the same as Finlux.

I was newer to keen on the K80, after 15-20 years of service i never got them to work reliably. Too many bad contacts and too much burned print.

The K9 allways gave a good picture and worked for years. Triplers were the most common fault. What do you think about this set?

Tandberg stopped producing tvs in the 70's. I've seen some ctv2&3s on the net. The ctv2 usually got worn tubes. I think they were Mullards. They also got some black triplers (Plessey?) which were unreliable. The power supply also needed a lot of service. The ctv3 was more reliable.

Loeve an Thompson sets were sold with the Tandberg name later..
Old 15th May 2008, 1:16 pm   #115
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Are these the National sets that you are thinking of gec2110 ? both my sets are dated 1973/ 74.

Marcus.
Yes, these are the sets I was thinking of. Are yours still performing well?
They were really reliable; the 18" model gave a really good picture if the tube was healthy

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 15th May 2008 at 2:02 pm. Reason: Fixed missing quote tag and typos
Old 15th May 2008, 1:58 pm   #116
marcus 3500
Retired Dormant Member

Hi GEC2110

In 2006 i fixed these sets. I did post here some pictures, click on my name and select find more posts by Marcus 3500. The tube on the TC85G is a little low but certainly watchable.

Hi Mike P

Most of my night time reading is 70's tv mag. All the superb articles you did on restoring various colour sets. I must have read them dozens of times

It's a real shame that most of the sets you covered in the servicing articles you wrote for TV mag are now long gone.

Your PYE 731 servicing from Setember 1979 TV mag was an incredible amount of help to me

Marcus.
Old 15th May 2008, 2:32 pm   #117
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I was never too keen on the K80 - IMHO it never matched the K70's performance - or looks, come to that. I bought and sold a few of them, usually CRT or LOPT trouble - the LOPT used to short the 25v LT rail to earth which baffled me for ages!

The K9 was quite unusual in this country but didn't give much trouble - bore a family resemblance to the KT2. Talking of which, those were quite good, though as they were so tightly squeezed into the cabinet the EHT cap could melt the cabinet, and the long channel selector knobs used to crack. I don't think I've seen a K12, except the projection model.

I agree Mike P's articles are a good cure for insomnia, Marcus! (Sorry Mike...)
Didn't know the Kuba was German - I always thought it had an Italian look about it.

By the way, Marcus, make sure your dad brings you a drink back - I hear it's famous for the Lemon Bali Water.....

I'll quit now while I'm behind.

Glyn
Old 15th May 2008, 5:07 pm   #118
Mikey405
Octode

Hi Glyn.

I didn't know they ever sold the K9 in this country - I thought it was just a continental set. Well, you learn something new every day.

I have a K12 in the bottom of my garage in Exmouth - It looks a bit like the K30s/KT3s etc. of the period. (Plain grey plastic front, wood-effect cabinet etc.) It had a boomy-speaker in it in a separate enclosure inside the cabinet if I remember. Probably still couldn't beat the sound from the 2 speakers of a K70 though.

From Mike.
Old 15th May 2008, 6:29 pm   #119
hans
Heptode

The HiFi K12s had good speakers. As far as i know only beaten by b&o, but a lot of the sets you write about were not sold here, I have never seen a K70 so I cant compare.

I have seen some K9 sets with converted audio from 6 MHz to 5,5. I think they were sold in the UK. Do other countries have 6 MHz?

Was the K11 sold in the UK?
Old 15th May 2008, 7:34 pm   #120
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post

Going back a bit, don't hear much of the HMV1890 / Ferguson 506.
The Ferguson 500 series was one of my favourite sets. I have a super 516T complete with FM radio and a 'Flight' 546T. Worked on huge numbers during the 60's and early 70's. The 506T was one of the stylish sets of the period.
A couple of pics to bring a smile to your face Mike. Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson 516T. Chassis.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	17184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson 516T. Working..jpg
Views:	374
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	17185  
Closed Thread