UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Nov 2019, 10:28 pm   #1
Radio Wrangler

Default Clive James

We have just lost the lyricist of one of the few (the only?) songs to feature a joke about CRT television restoration; Clive James.

"That ball needs a re-gun" I said, shelling out
"The future you see there has all come about
Does it show you the girl as she happens to be
A Venus made flesh in a shell full of sea?
Does it show you the shape of my danger?
Can you show me the beautiful stranger?

"Beware of The Beautiful Stranger" words by Clive James, music and performance by Pete Atkin. to be found on the LP "The Master of the Revels"

David
Old 27th Nov 2019, 11:26 pm   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Clive James

The Beeb repeated his interview with Mary Beard [from last year] on BBC2 at 7-30 pm tonight. Check it out. I first noticed him on The End of The Pier Show [circa 1970]. BBC 24 Hour News began the day with the death of a popular chef. Then we learned that Jonathan Miller had died. Another polymath like Miller [Altzhiemers of course] I named my son after Jonathan. They gave the cook priority at first then re-considered. Anything for the "yoof" populist market eh? Melvyn Bragg was on R4's Front Row at 7-15 pm, clearly shaken by this double whammy in his life. As Clive pointed out last year, he should have died a decade ago and fully expected to so he'd had a long extension. A great loss!

Dave W
Closed Thread