UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Aug 2015, 9:47 am   #81
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Re: What happened to DER?

Like the advert - but a bit AFTER my time in the 1960s...
Tony
Old 31st Aug 2015, 7:03 pm   #82
Nuvistor
Dekatron

An article from a history web site, about halfway down the web page, photo of a DER van and a Thorn 2000 CTV with a small write up. Don't miss the paragraph immediately before about a radio components supply shop, Waltons. Photos of the Walton shop further down the page.
http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/lost...reet/shops.htm

Frank
Old 31st Aug 2015, 7:30 pm   #83
yesnaby
Octode

Hi,

Wonderful photos of old Wolverhampton. I was a lad there with little or no money in those days but it didn't stop me 'window shopping' in all the radio supplies places. Fenwicks was a last resort as it was too dear, Waltons etc more reasonable!

Michael
Old 31st Aug 2015, 9:30 pm   #84
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Who became Sir Jules Thorn in later years.I was there in 1966 and before.
Old 1st Sep 2015, 10:16 am   #85
Aerodyne
Octode

Nostalgic link, Frank. I worked on plenty of the 2000 series sets. The ravages of time, eh. Everything changes and what seemed at the time to be permanent turned out to be anything but with the TV trade.
Tony
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 8:22 pm   #86
DERSeniorRep
Retired Dormant Member

Hello! I came across this forum whilst looking for any info on DER.

I worked for them as a sales rep for 13 years or so from 1974 to 1988. My first "posting" was to the Worcester St branch in Wolverhampton (the article link from Nuvistor brought back a few memories!). Colour TV with remote control was just taking off in a big way and video still in it's infancy. When the Worcester St Branch closed, we moved to a service unit in Wednesfield. I aso worked for the company in Bloxwich, Stoke-on-Trent, and Stafford.
In reply to Tony's original question, 'What happened to DER?', my memory of the demise of DER is that in 1987/8 there was talk of a merger with MultiBroadcast. This took place despite a great deal of rumbling from DER staff regarding MB being 'run by kids' and many of us having to reapply for jobs that we'd done quite successfully for many years. As my own position of Senior Rep wasn't even recognised in MB's structure I took redundancy - something MB were quite loathe to agree to until I pointed out that as they were making my job redundant they had a legal obligation to give me the choice of an acceptable alternative, or pay me off. A wise move as things turned out.
I think everything eventually, including Radio Rentals, came under the heading of Thorn Television Rentals but, as has already been stated, the writing was on the wall for the future of TV and video rental. Equipment was becoming more reliable and requiring fewer service calls and less frequent updates on the sales side.
Given how many people worked for the Wolverhampton branches I'm amazed that, over the intervening years, I haven't bumped into a single one of them since leaving!
Old 23rd Mar 2016, 1:32 am   #87
DERSeniorRep
Retired Dormant Member

A message for MultiDERrentals.
Tried to reply to your PM but got the following message:-

MultiDERrentals has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you PM me your email address I can get back to you

Tony
Old 23rd Mar 2016, 2:03 am   #88
AC/HL
Dekatron

Hi Tony,
MultiDERrentals was showing as awaiting email confirmation, possibly as a result of updating his profile as he is a long-standing member. I've updated the profile, so your PM should now go through.
Old 23rd Mar 2016, 2:26 am   #89
DERSeniorRep
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Bill, I'll try again

Tony
Old 23rd Mar 2016, 10:09 am   #90
MultiDERrentals
Tetrode

Got your PM OK, will reply later today.

Thanks!