UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Oct 2011, 4:35 pm   #381
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Restorer's dream part 2 the chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired View Post
I have a hand cranked 1000v megger Glyn but would need to learn how to use it in this situation but I'm always willing to learn.
It's very easy to use these. Just grab one wire in each hand and ask a friend to crank the handle. You will learn very quickly indeed
Old 14th Oct 2011, 5:40 pm   #382
Retired
Heptode

Hi,

Thanks Jeffrey; methinks you are taking the Mickey. When you visit I'll let you demonstrate whilst I do the hard work of cranking.

Kind regards, Col.
Old 14th Oct 2011, 7:49 pm   #383
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I wouldn't dream of letting you do the hard cranking work and missing out on the educational experience.
Old 15th Oct 2011, 4:48 am   #384
tubesrule
Hexode

I just stumbled on this thread and can help explain the operation of the Aurora at low and high voltage.

There is an under voltage supervisor circuit that will force a reset if the internal voltage is about to drop out of regulation. In this respect, there is no danger of erratic operation at low voltage since it's all or nothing. This usually happens right around 5V. There is also a time delay on this reset, so even if the voltage is quickly bouncing around 5V, the unit will just stay in reset until the voltage is high enough and stable long enough.

On the other end, the main voltage regulator is rated at 20V maximum and may be damaged over this. If the converter is operated this high for long periods of time, this regulator can go into thermal shutdown to protect itself, but this will also be a very slow cycling as the part cools down and heats up.

While I have never seen and can't envision a scenario that would allow the output to go erratic, in engineering you never say never.

Darryl
Old 15th Oct 2011, 9:38 am   #385
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired View Post
Just to be sure I left the set switched on for about twenty minutes until Mike arrived and gave him the good news as he walked in.
Hi Col
I was expecting a nice meaty fault to get stuck into; oh well, you can't win 'em all.

My guess was that the TV/FM switch was tracking occasionally, but this had burnt itself off after a while. If the fault recurs, that's the first suspect.
The wirewounds you showed me that had got red hot but were still intact apart from the coating - not unusual as they rarely go O/C for that reason.

After a few minor twiddles the test card looked great, and the CRT is excellent. The VHF was even pulling in a few stations without a proper aerial.
Just like the T311 we had as our main set in the pre-colour era! Apart from the cabinet, of course.
Old 15th Oct 2011, 9:57 am   #386
Retired
Heptode

Hi,

Many thanks for the Aurora information Darryl its useful to know.

Fortunately my Farnell PSU has three separate voltage ranges set by a round knob that would be difficult to nudge onto a different range; I set it to the 0/10V low range and adjusted it to 9V.

I will however obtain a fixed 9V PSU as Dom suggests and combine both the PSU and Aurora as a single unit; it will make an easy but interesting little project and perhaps I can spend time to make a nice French polished wooden enclosure after all the Aurora is not a cheap bit of kit.

As with all my long running projects now that this T311 is completed I feel it to be a bit of an anti-climax leaving a big hole in my life as I've lived and breathed this set for so long.

For others contemplating tackling their first radio or TV restoration please don't be put off by the length of these threads because this particular TV was an extreme restoration; if I now did a second similar restoration I could complete it in a fraction of the time. I'm far from being an expert and have had to learn a great deal but to me this is the interesting and fun part of such work. I found by thinking the job through then breaking it down into many small stages I could make slow but positive progress and for me this was the key to this restoration.

During the chassis restoration I had immense guidance and generosity from members for which I'm truly grateful and confess at times I felt as though I was getting out of my depth with a real threat of losing the plot completely. I lost a lot of sleep and the restoration was constantly on my mind but I was determined not to be beaten even though at times things tested my patience to the limit. I've tried to include both the high and low parts of the restoration as things do not always go right for me although it might appear as though they do looking at the finished TV.

I sincerely hope my story encourages others to have a go and to enjoy both the highs and lows as I have done; I've spent a great deal of time taking pictures and writing up the story but even this has been enjoyable and more akin to keeping a diary as I've done everything in real time.

I'm not only amazed that the restoration has turned out so well in the end but that it generated so much interest on the forum for so long.

I must have slipped into a coma last night because it was the first night for ages that I slept right through.

I hope to follow on with other similar projects and have already agreed to fully re-veneer a large TV cabinet for a friend; I think this would also make a decent story as I'll once again attempt to do it in real time adding blow by blow details onto the forum.

One job I now need to do is to copy both parts of this TV restoration to CD and place a copy CD into the cabinet.

Thank you everyone.

Kind regards, Col.
Closed Thread