UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Old 15th Feb 2024, 7:27 pm   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Cleaning Up Badly Scratched Verobox?

Can anybody offer me any suggestions for cleaning up a two tone white and grey Verobox from my N7118 pattern generator please?

It's really ghastly both top and bottom, covered in a grotty meshwork of black mucky scratches all over it!

I don't want to have to buy a replacement unless it really is absolutely needed as these 205 × 140 × 40 mm boxes are in short supply and expensive!

Chris Williams
Old 15th Feb 2024, 8:01 pm   #2
Philips210
Nonode

Default Re: Cleaning Up Badly Scratched Verobox?

Hi Chris.

I'd first give the two halves of the case a good wash in hot soapy water or you could try foam cleaner. If the scratches aren't too deep then you could try a mild abrasive cutting compound such as T-cut. Solvol metal polish works quite well. Brasso is also quite good.

If the scratches are deeper then you could try a really fine wet and dry abrasive say 1200 or 1000 grit and then progress on to a cutting compound. It all depends how badly scratched it is.

A good wash and a cutting compound will probably be enough to transform the appearance.

Regards,
Symon
Philips210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2024, 8:14 pm   #3
Silicon
Nonode

Some plastics can be painted. It might be made from ABS.
Silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2024, 9:09 pm   #4
Chris55000
Nonode

. . .Thanks Symon!

. . I'll give all that a try! I've tried all that before without much success – I must have been using something too abrasive in the past!

. . .I'm happy I can completely reclaim the electronics and PCB, (even making a new PCB if the worst comes to the worst!) but cabinets, mechanicals and me don't agree with other!

Chris Williams
Old 15th Feb 2024, 10:06 pm   #5
EmleyTim
Tetrode

Hi Chris
Symon’s spot on. All I would add is that constantly wetting the abrasive paper when using it often yields a more pleasing result faster as it prevents contaminants from re-scratching. A drop of washing up liquid in the water can help too. Amazon sell assorted packs of wet & dry at a VFM price. As Symon says, work through the grades, the higher the number, the finer the cut.
Good luck, Tim
EmleyTim is offline   Reply With Quote