UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2020, 8:07 pm   #1
sparkymike
Octode

Default 10 LD 11 Valve removal

Is there a technique in removing these valves with the dimple such as a 10LD11
or 10F9 ? They seem to be very tight fit and I do not want to risk breakage.
Mike.
Old 4th Jul 2020, 8:13 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: 10 LD 11 Valve removal

If the holder has a wire-spring round it to keep the holder's upstanding metal part clamped against the valve, you can usually wiggle this spring off to reduce the clamping.

Then put a broad-bladed screwdriver in the slot _above_ the dimple, and twist it so it expands the metal part away from the valve.

After that the valve should pull-out. *DON`T WIGGLE IT* - pull it directly and squarely up. If you wiggle it you risk cracking the pin-to-glass seals in the flat bottom of the valve-envelope.
Old 5th Jul 2020, 8:29 am   #3
sparkymike
Octode

Thanks for the tips. The valves that are in the set are upside down so I guess they did not want any dropping out. I have a box full of that type of valve in the loft somewhere. Will have to have a look to see if there are any matching those in the set.
Mike.
Old 5th Jul 2020, 6:21 pm   #4
Leon Crampin
Octode

My technique is to apply thin penetrating fluid around the skirt, and then to simultaneously push through the spigot hole from below with a blunt wooden probe like a thin pencil, whilst pulling gently from above, with slight wiggling.

Leon.
Old 6th Jul 2020, 7:54 am   #5
sparkymike
Octode

Hi Leon, I was thinking along the same lines, but maybe a piece of hard plastic
around 3/8" square, to push on the dimple.
I managed to remove one valve but only after I had eased out the two metal wings. I reckon service engineers of the time must have had some sort of tool to enable quicker removal ? (unless these valves were ultra reliable.)
Mike.
Old 6th Jul 2020, 3:02 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

Service engineers didn't. have to worry too much...... if the valve lost its vacuum on the way out, it was faulty and needed to be replaced. Small extra sale.....
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread