UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2020, 3:40 pm   #1
retailer
Heptode

Default DIY valve socket

I have a few B7 valves and quite a few B5 and B4 valves but did not have a suitable socket to include in my homebuilt valve tester, I was able to make a B5 socket from a piece of black insulating material (some sort of phenolic) I found in my parts bin, B5/B4 valves have a spring contact built into the valve pin so I thought a plain metal tube is ok to use for the socket contact - I used 1/4" brass rod turned and drilled in the lathe, the same socket doubles also as the B4 socket. See original post here https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=166943 the homemade B5 socket can be seen in the video at the back/right.

Wanting to try out my recent 3D printer purchase, I drew up a B7 socket base in Fusion360 and after following some youtube instructions a B7 base almost magically appeared on the printer bed. I've run out of 1/4" brass rod and will pick some up this week to finish it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B5 socket.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	209321   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200623_161407.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	209322   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200623_161440.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	209323  
Old 24th Jun 2020, 6:04 am   #2
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: DIY valve socket

Nice work, a lathe and 3D printer are great things to have, makes most jobs do-able.

Andy.