UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2020, 12:38 pm   #1
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Default Curly cable restoration

Hi all,

Today decided to dig out an old computer which surprisingly worked on bootup, however the curly keyboard cable was stretched and has lost it’s “memory”.

Wrapped it around some dowel and immersed it into some boiling water. Going to let it cool and then will post the results later.

Cheers,

Kev
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7FAE23BD-054F-4D38-B34E-064D92E1CBBF.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	203694   Click image for larger version

Name:	F675E57E-CFCC-44E0-BD12-DB08A40C51EB.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	203695   Click image for larger version

Name:	D6DABA02-ABD8-49EF-B82C-A9731F0C8934.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	203696  
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 4:46 pm   #2
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Default Re: Curly cable restoration

...and the end result. The cable isn’t as springy as it would have been new but it’s a big improvement on how it was. Maybe another soak or direct heat from a hot air gun would improve it but I don’t want to take the risk as this keyboard is quite rare.

Kev
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABA94F7F-707C-49E3-812C-58D769F91147.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	203718  
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 9:41 pm   #3
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

What sort of keyboard is that, I've a B&W IBM keyboard about 15+years, not sure, find the black is reall good on the eyes.
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 9:45 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Thanks for the tip. I might try it on a few telephone curly cords that have become rather out-of-shape.
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 10:23 pm   #5
ajgriff
Nonode

I've done this a good few times with curly telephone cords. Never used dowels but just dropped the entire cord into a pan of boiling water for a couple minutes. Any kinks or twists need to be removed first by runnng the cord through finger and thumb with a tight grip. Seems brutal but has always been successful. Good opportunity to clean off accumulated grime before boiling as well. Cords come up like new.

Alan
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 10:25 pm   #6
Alistair D
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrun_uk View Post
...and the end result. The cable isn’t as springy as it would have been new but it’s a big improvement on how it was. Maybe another soak or direct heat from a hot air gun would improve it but I don’t want to take the risk as this keyboard is quite rare.

Kev
I usually use a powerful hairdryer for this. As well as the hairdryer I use a semi circular piece of metal held behind the coiled cable. That way the heat is distributed to all surfaces of the coil at the same time.

As a suggestion, a baked bean can cut down the middle should work OK.

Al
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 10:52 pm   #7
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyso_Bl View Post
What sort of keyboard is that, I've a B&W IBM keyboard about 15+years, not sure, find the black is reall good on the eyes.
The keyboard is from a Commodore CDTV which is an Amiga variant, one of ghe first attempts at a mass market multimedia system.
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 10:54 pm   #8
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair D View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrun_uk View Post

Kev
I usually use a powerful hairdryer for this. As well as the hairdryer I use a semi circular piece of metal held behind the coiled cable. That way the heat is distributed to all surfaces of the coil at the same time.

As a suggestion, a baked bean can cut down the middle should work OK.

Al
I have a hotair gun at work that has a curved attachment, great for heat shrinking. May try it on something sacrificial but as for this one I’m happy enough with the results and don’t want to push my luck!
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 12:53 am   #9
Kyle__B
Banned

Rare thing that, A CDTV keyboard that hasn't had all it's keys pinched by a 1200 owner going through a goth phase. I wish it and you many years of safety.
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 1:37 pm   #10
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

I wrap telephone cords 'round a ½" steel bar with the idea that will hold heat and warm it up from the inside as well. I then pour a kettleful of boiling water over it before running it under the cold tap. It's also a good chance to clean the cord with a soapy nail-brush.

Pictures can be seen here.
Closed Thread