UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2020, 8:41 pm   #41
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Extra flux anyone?

I think they had a Art Deco factory on the Great West Road. I seem to remember a large neon sign at the front entrance and that was many decades ago! John.
Old 26th May 2020, 8:31 pm   #42
WME_bill
Octode

Fluxite and Rosin.
Picking up from G6Tanuki, I dissolve violinists' Rosin in Propanol (isopropyl alcohol) to use as a paper adhesive, repairing the binding of books. The brown colour means it must be kept to the back.
I have just tried some as a flux. It is a bit too volatile and liquid though it did work. A paste like my original Fluxite was much better. Smell was much the same.
wme_bill
Old 29th May 2020, 8:06 am   #43
FrankB
Heptode

I always carry a can of both "No Corrode" aka here as "Noke" brand flux and a bottle of liquid rosin in my kit.
I find that the old solder rolls, often need the flux boost to solder well. (Keep in mind, I have rolls of rosin core solder dating back into the 40's).

I absolutely detest this new fangled "Lead free" solder. It makes poor joints at the factory, but made me a real wad of cash fixing the sets bad solder joints when I was in business.
Old 7th Jul 2020, 1:32 pm   #44
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
These two nasty quality colour slides are shots of the Fry's Metals foundry at Colliers Wood, the home of Fluxite in 1977. The original slides are very good quality taken early evening.
I scanned them with my flatbed scanner. I have a slide scanner, fantastic quality but I don't have a driver for Windows 10. [Silverline]it's such a pity.
The entrance was more like a church than a metal works. It was one of the last major manufacturing plants in Colliers Wood/Mitcham. John.

I used to drive over the bridge past that building every day on the way to work - like everything else it gave way to shops and tiny flats for people that have to travel miles to get anywhere to work.
Old 7th Jul 2020, 9:11 pm   #45
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

This must be one of the very first FLUXITE adverts to feature in a radio magazine. A scan taken from The Broadcaster of October 1923.

There were a lot of creepy characters featured in 1920's advertisements of all products back in those times.
Regards John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FLX 1923.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	210497  

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 7th Jul 2020 at 9:17 pm.
Closed Thread