UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jul 2020, 1:43 pm   #1
mickm3for
Heptode

Default Numbers station on VHF.

Hi just heard a number station on vhf in fm modulation on 146.750mhz yaesu ft270rh / icom 706 radios . This had to be realy strong as rigs running on a 1/4 wave at 145 mhz on the ground , english female synth voice, strange Mick
Old 7th Jul 2020, 3:12 pm   #2
electronicskip
Nonode

Default Re: Numbers station on VHF.

Not heard a number station for years now, didn't know they were still around.
Old 7th Jul 2020, 3:36 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Never heard of one on VHF.

There have been sporadic periods of Es living up to its name recently and other anomalous propagation modes. It might be from further afield than you'd guess.

The whole purpose of numbers stations was that receivers covering shortwave broadcast bands would not be considered incriminating if spotted. Two metre radios are a lot thinner on the ground.

Numbers stations pop up again when things in the world get turbulent. And nowadays people are starting to get paranoid that internet accessing of pages might be traceable. With all the hype and threats over who made what items of 5G infrastructure and what trapdoors might be coded into it, I'd rate the world paranoia level at government level, higher than it's been for a long time.

So I'd not be too surprised to find a couple on HF, but VHF doesn't reliably do the amount of range needed to get from one bloc to another.

I think there has to be a less cloak and dagger cause. Some sort of telemetry on a different band physically close enough to overload your receiver? Maybe some wag with a receiver on ATIS feeding it into an amateur radio transceiver. Makes a change from 'Squeakies' and 'Who's afraid of the DTI' in castrati pitch.

David
Old 7th Jul 2020, 3:54 pm   #4
G4XWDJim
Octode

Retransmitting I would have thought is most likely along with the castrati voice over the repeaters that was so annoying in the 70s and 80s, not forgetting the Laughing policeman wireless society.

I’m assuming that with the lack of use of repeaters I hear about, the behaviour is better.

Jim
Old 7th Jul 2020, 6:42 pm   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I'd say it's just a pirate amusing his or her self with a recording.
A more sinister explanation than that is vanishngly unlikely. (IMHO).
Old 7th Jul 2020, 7:11 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Could it be some sort of odd intermodulation effect?

[I remember regularly hearing ITV-sound on a single-valve 1S5 regenerative receiver tuned to 208Metres during the daytime, while waiting for propagation to bring Radio Luxembourg out of the mush]
Old 11th Jul 2020, 7:07 am   #7
its ur aerial
Hexode

Cant see the point of Number Stations on VHF, with the limited range, I tend to agree with Radio Wrangler, some wag retransmitting.
Old 11th Jul 2020, 10:48 am   #8
Dave757
Heptode

Hi,

I take it that as a FT270RH was used, the frequency would be 145.750MHz.

There are a number of Chinese satellites with the downlinks between
145.600and 145.800 MHz. I wonder if it was from one of these.

Kind regards
Dave
Old 11th Jul 2020, 11:39 am   #9
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

OP said 1MHz higher 146.750MHz.
There used to be fixed links here for the Emergency Services. In London there was a lot of illegal use by embassies and such. The security staff would buy 2m rigs from the shops in Tottenham Court Road and just use them on some frequency where there was a gap.

I have seen the numbers on the display but kept quiet about it!
Closed Thread