UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jul 2020, 10:56 pm   #1
kevinaston1
Hexode

Default Dangerous voltage

Whilst searching old issues of ETI (American Radio History website), I came across this cartoon.

Good reminder for technicians, ONE HAND BEHIND YOUR BACK WHEN WORKING ON A LIVE CHASSIS.

Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HV.pdf (623.9 KB, 173 views)

Last edited by AC/HL; 7th Jul 2020 at 12:57 am. Reason: Attachment corrected
Old 7th Jul 2020, 1:34 am   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Dangerous voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinaston1 View Post
Whilst searching old issues of ETI (American Radio History website), I came across this cartoon.

Good reminder for technicians, ONE HAND BEHIND YOUR BACK WHEN WORKING ON A LIVE CHASSIS.

Kevin
Nah, an image like that makes me remember "S.I.D.E." AKA "It's the ****** coil!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2RPu4Hs_qo
Old 7th Jul 2020, 6:55 am   #3
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Ah, that makes more sense, I was puzzled by the original attachment.

The one hand behind your back rule makes sense to avoid an electric current passing from one hand to another through your heart but you still risk a serious shock from the hand to the floor.
My previous employer used rubber mats in areas where live equipment was being worked on and this was very effective. We had an instance where a customer had miswired the plug on a unit to connect the live wire to chassis. Said chassis was handled while testing the unit without shock.

Peter
Old 7th Jul 2020, 7:18 am   #4
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinaston1 View Post

Kevin
Nah, an image like that makes me remember "S.I.D.E." AKA "It's the ****** coil!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2RPu4Hs_qo
I remember watching that as a kid - I think it was a trade test film. Looking at the facility, I think it must have been at the early version of fusion research at Culham, or at RAL.

Just over 12 minutes in there is a good shot of a rack of Tektronix valved oscilloscopes. The one in the foreground is a 545A or B. The A had 75 valves in it. Quite a room heater.

Craig

Last edited by Craig Sawyers; 7th Jul 2020 at 7:24 am.
Old 7th Jul 2020, 8:29 am   #5
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
The A had 75 valves in it. Quite a room heater.

Craig
Indeed. I remember back in the 1970s when power was rationed during one of the miners' strikes. Only essential things were allowed to be switched on which excluded electric heaters, so our lab was very cold. Inspectors went around to make sure that the regulations were being complied with. Obviously it was essential to make sure that the mains supply had no nasty spikes on it, so we connected the probes of our oscilloscope to a mains socket and removed its cover. We were nice and warm after than.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 7th Jul 2020, 8:33 am   #6
radioman
Heptode

Yes, that's a very memorable image !
I saw it in my copy of ETI at the time and posted a copy in this thread back in 2010
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...197#post381197

Andy
G-QRP #12697
Old 7th Jul 2020, 1:27 pm   #7
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post

I remember watching that as a kid - I think it was a trade test film. Looking at the facility, I think it must have been at the early version of fusion research at Culham, or at RAL.

Craig
I always thought it was Harwell, but I've just noticed Culham mentioned in the opening credits.
Closed Thread