UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2020, 10:17 am   #21
Wendymott
Octode

Default Re: Drill press advice

Being a "Lazy" so and so..I found it easier to buy various drills and keep the drill bits fixed, rather than change them... typically for my pcb processing...Mini drill press with 0.8mm, Larger drill press with 3.2mm for mounting holes.. Small Bench drill press with 10mm chuck for various and a Minicraft with a hex chuck for inter changeable bits.. Thats just in the pcb area...in the build area another Minicraft with 1mm drill for those pcb holes that need 1mm. and it also doubles with dental burrs to remove excess copper or mistakes. Then in the basement another bench press drill..... Hitachi cordless for those "odd" jobs. You can never have too many drills

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 10:59 am   #22
Martin Bush
Octode

Hi chaps

I've just caught up with all the replies. I didn't realise there had been such a response as often my threads grind to a natural halt after a while

Interesting and useful info which I will read more closely shortly.

Martin
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 12:22 pm   #23
JohnBG8JMB
Pentode

Don't waste money on a drill stand. The old B&D one I have, fits metal drills with a fork and end screw, is insufficiently rigid- bends when you put a lot of feed pressure on is, and is generally sloppy.

Newer ones rely on clamping the collar on the drill and do not provide a positive location for the drill

Get a £50 type like the screwfix - mine came from Wickes 20+ years ago and still good. look out for offers from Lidl/aldi with a drill vice.

Take care
John
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 3:26 pm   #24
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks for all the feedback chaps.

I have to apologise for ordering a stand from ebay. The reason for doing this is that I have another large purchase to make shortly and thought I would at least give it a go with my current drill. I did this before I saw all the feedback.

There is a bit of a strategy here though in so far as if I find it to be duff, it will go back (I am not averse to complaining!). The long term strategy is to get a proper machine and it looks like there's some good suggestions above for affordable machines.

I remember using the pillar drills at school, which was really satisfying. Although I was never told that the springy metal waste that it produced was rather dangerous. I found out when I tried to straighten a bit out between finger and thumb! They also used to let us loose with a furnace as I recall.