UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jun 2020, 10:34 am   #1
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Default Kolster-Brandes FB10

This came down from the loft recently and has taken some work. It was in a shocking (literally!) bad state, full of electrically conductive dirt - presumably soot from coal fires - and with a lot of other damage.

The first thing was to clean up the inside and replace the usual capacitors. The dial drive needed restringing; this was quite a task until I discovered the little pulley buried deep in the above-chassis works. A couple more components needed replacement and it needed re-aligning. Although the components under the chassis are packed very tightly, the chassis itself is very shallow so everything is reasonably accessible.

The case had a large, ragged break in the back and the dial glass was broken in half. I imagine it had been dropped on a hard floor at some time. I managed to get the crack nearly lined up and glued, and then filled the joint with off-white acrylic paint. You can still see it, but it's not obvious. The speaker cloth is the best match I could get for the original.

The design was clearly an exercise in how to get an acceptable 4+R set into a very small case without serious overheating problems. The LT is provided by an auto-transformer giving 6.3V. I guess a resistive dropper inside such a tiny case would have been impossible. In fact, the set works well and the reception is considerably better than I had anticipated. The ferrite aerial is very directional; this is quite an advantage as when it's lined up with Droitwich it gets a very good signal and rejects most of the assorted mush from computers and so on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI3636.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	207721  
Old 5th Jun 2020, 3:01 pm   #2
unitelex
Hexode

Default Re: Kolster-Brandes FB10

Looks great, well done
I like these, and particularly like the rarer FM version

Chris
Old 12th Jun 2020, 9:28 pm   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Kolster-Brandes FB10

Well done! I have one of these sets in the kitchen and it gets daily use. The case on yours has scrubbed up well; mine was nicotine-stained so badly that I was forced to respray it.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread