UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 11th Apr 2024, 1:11 am   #1
whyperion
Hexode

Default Harry Beck Electrical / Electronic Diagram

While not the inventor of the London Underground Map (Fred Stingemore in the London Underground produced some that slowly became less geographical and more diagramatic), nor the style of the line diagram - that was possibly from the London and North Western / LMS line diagrams. The maps he produced are probably the most iconic in peoples minds when they think of the London Underground. It is sometimes said he was an electronic draughtsman/ expert but apparently that is unproven, although I understand he did produce signally diagrams of the rail lines and connections in detail with respect to individual locations. However I have while researching something else come across a couple of less public maps of the London Underground network of the early 1930s. One is one of the electrical power stations and substations produced by London Transport for an electrical engineering journal- I am not sure which it would be. Pedants may note that this is Underground Services only, not for example the ex London County Council Tram Network , which had roadside and other substations, and the Greenwich generating power station.

The second , which I think is worth discussing is for the I think UREL in house magazine TOT (Tram , Ominbus , Train) ( might be London Transport, but the inmplied incomplete Piccadilly Line extension to me implies a little before April 1933 If I have my dates correct.) This was apparently suggested by his workmates and how much they contributed to the idea and how much was his own idea/s I dont know, and I am interested in the letters after his name too. While apparently impractical for any kind of real circuit perhaps folk could suggest what elements are of interest. To me, given the date on the cusp of early UK Television Transmission and the use of Crystal Radio Reciever sets still being of home brew designs with commercial radio ( inc ? Radio Normandy by then ) it is a snapshot of the kind of enthusist of builders of radios - or repairers - would have some familiarity with.

If anyone needs translation to some of the in-house Londonisms let me know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TubeElectrict.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	296229   Click image for larger version

Name:	TubeMapSkit.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	296230  
whyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2024, 5:38 am   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Harry Beck Electrical / Electronic Diagram

The inspiration for xkcd seven decades later?
Graham G3ZVT is online now   Reply With Quote