UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Aug 2020, 2:40 pm   #481
John M0GLN
Octode

Default Re: Traders still in existence

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontech View Post
The mention of Superadio in Liverpool is interesting. In addition to Beaver Radio I think there were a number of similar shops in Whitechapel ( Liverpool ) ( 1946 - 1960 ) period.Selling ex WW2 surplus stuff. Communications receivers which I could not afford. I did get a radar display unit with VCR97 CRT and some EF50 red Sylvania valves and think some SP41s.
There was also Milligans halfway up Brownlow Hill from Lime St, I bought an RF24 unit from them c1960.

John
Old 6th Aug 2020, 4:15 pm   #482
David Simpson
Nonode

Off Scotland Road, in the 50's & 60's, to the rear of Casnow Street Market(Paddies Market), was another 2nd hand radio shop. I forget the name. A crappy looking place amongst bombed out shells, but a treasure trove of all sorts of stuff.
But then, since joining the RAF in '61,I didn't return to radio pursuits as a hobby, till 2007. But by then, had been living nearly 400 miles north of Bootle/Liverpool for 34 years. I'd imagined that all those radio shop haunts had long passed into oblivion. As Kevin says, such old radio shops were run by really helpful & friendly proprietors. Some of them, I vaguely recall, were started by demobbed ex radio servicemen after the end of the war.

Ta Ra, Wackers, David
Old 6th Aug 2020, 6:43 pm   #483
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Anyone remember a radio shop in Maidenhead

My local shop was in Chesterfield near horns bridge , the chaps name was Jack Tweedy, I used to take a walk down to the shop of an evening just to look at the window display of ex WD stuff there were things like 1155s sp600 etc , plus all sorts of components and some new stuff, Happy days indeed ,never to repeated sadly , I must have been about eleven /twelve years old , Where has all the time gone Mick.
Old 6th Aug 2020, 6:59 pm   #484
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Ex WD stuff. There used to be many of these fascinating shops piled with junk. They all had that unmistakable smell rather like the inside of an army tank or a HMV wind up gramophone.
Another memory of London Road Kingston upon Thames and Merton High Street from my much younger days. John.
Old 6th Aug 2020, 7:34 pm   #485
Keith956
Heptode

Nearest one to me used to be in Worthing if I recall correct, remember going there in the late 60's/early 70's and it was all ex-MOD stuff. Lots of old scopes, B40/B41 receivers stacked on shelves. Miss those old places, there was always good stuff to be had (I picked up a klystron oscillator for some reason, goodness knows what became of it)
Old 6th Aug 2020, 8:14 pm   #486
tony brady
Hexode

that would be GWM Radio. I went there in 1971 with my dads friend who worked for Pye on the transmission network. got some ARP12 for my 62 set for the princely sum of 50p each. I remember the stacks of radios and radar piled up but sadly didn't return for a few years.

used to go to Arthur Sallis in Brighton pretty much every week for parts or junk from the floor. they had a lot of power supplies from Creeds that were in Bevendean and later on Tutts radio
Old 7th Aug 2020, 12:59 pm   #487

Default Re: Anyone remember a radio shop in Maidenhead?

I also remember Jones radio in Slough, must have closed in '95

Old 9th Aug 2020, 6:14 am   #488
BulgingCap
Pentode

Default Re: Anyone remember a radio shop in Maidenhead?

In early 70s there was an electronics junk shop on Radford Boulevard in Nottingham.
I called many times on a Saturday for supplies. It was run by a chap with the surname of De Havilland who was reputed to be related to the famous acting/aircraft design family. I think 'Roland' and 'Grenville' were among his given names. I have just searched the DH family tree but can find no reference. One Saturday the shop was empty and I never did find out what happened to it/him as it always seemed very busy.
BC
Old 11th Aug 2020, 12:37 pm   #489
Records
Hexode

Default Re: Bygone radio traders

Anyone from the Bradford area may remember a shop in Shelf called Crowthers, it had a vast amount of things for sale, he had valve radios stuck in corners, he sold valves and cables, his wife sold clothes and knitting wool, it had everything, i still remember the smell as a child, it smelt of old tv's, i remember he had a big valve radio sat on the counter, it was playing on the odd occasion i went in there. I used to stand outside as a child and look in the window, amazing shop it would have been early 1970s, i think it finally closed in the 1980's after he died and his wife couldnt cope.
Old 11th Aug 2020, 3:14 pm   #490
stainless
Tetrode

I used to live in Bedford, and went to Clarabut's for the odd component, (AF116 at 6s 6d) and some advice. It wasn't till much later that I heard he was involved in the public address industry.

Does anyone have any more information about him?
Old 11th Aug 2020, 3:56 pm   #491
Bobsound
Tetrode

As someone who was involved in the PA business, all that I know is that he was one of the first public address contractors in the country and a founder member of the Association of Public Address Engineers which has now developed into the Institute of Sound, Communications and Vision Engineers. I believe he was also big in freemasonry.
Old 11th Aug 2020, 4:41 pm   #492
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony brady View Post
that would be GWM Radio. I went there in 1971 with my dads friend who worked for Pye on the transmission network. got some ARP12 for my 62 set for the princely sum of 50p each. I remember the stacks of radios and radar piled up but sadly didn't return for a few years.
In the early-70s I bought my first 'proper' communications-receiver - a Collins TCS12 (which I still have) from GWM, followed by a PCR and power-supply a few years later.
Then in subsequent years they supplied me with a body-worn Pye PF2 UHF or three, and in the late-90s a set of Pye MX290 2M radios.
Old 12th Aug 2020, 4:19 pm   #493
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless View Post
I used to live in Bedford, and went to Clarabut's for the odd component, (AF116 at 6s 6d) and some advice. It wasn't till much later that I heard he was involved in the public address industry.

Does anyone have any more information about him?
You know how memory holds odd things. I can recall seeing a photo in some periodical of a car or a van with a very large horn speaker on top of it with the name CECIL CLARABUT written in large curved lettering inside the horn.

Amazing whats stored for half a century in the back of the noggin when I could really do with the space for new stuff.

So I guess it must be the same chap. SWM, WW, PE, maybe PW.

David
Old 12th Aug 2020, 10:27 pm   #494
John KC0G
Hexode

There was a picture of the caravan on page 119 of the June 1973 issue of Practical Wireless. https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Pra...W-1973-06a.pdf

There was a one-page article "Memories of Cecil Clarabut, G2VS" by G3SYX (Ron Irving) in Radio Bygones, No. 49, October / November 1997, p. 13
Old 13th Aug 2020, 7:47 am   #495
Radio Wrangler

1973 is be later than I would have read those magazines, other than WW, so there may be an earlier article somewhere.

David
Old 13th Aug 2020, 6:42 pm   #496
Reelman
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M0GLN View Post

There was also Milligans halfway up Brownlow Hill from Lime St, I bought an RF24 unit from them c1960.

John
In 1969 we stayed at pokey Little B/B in Mount Pleasant, Liverpool run by a Mr Roberts for a week or so prior to moving to Formby. On walking down the hill towards town there was a tiny shop on the corner. It must have been physically very close to Milligan’s but I don’t think it was the same shop, in which case I am disappointed that I missed Milligan’s when it was so close! Perhaps it is just my memory........ Presumably Milligan’s is the shop mentioned in post #22.

Having been familiar with the electronic shops in London, Liverpool, Southport and Coventry it is such a shame that they have passed away. At the time I thought that they would be there forever. I suppose we were just lucky that the Govt Surplus left over from the war lasted as long as it did.

Peter
Old 14th Aug 2020, 6:50 am   #497
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John M0GLN View Post

John
In 1969 we stayed at pokey Little B/B in Mount Pleasant, Liverpool run by a Mr Roberts for a week or so prior to moving to Formby. On walking down the hill towards town there was a tiny shop on the corner. It must have been physically very close to Milligan’s but I don’t think it was the same shop, in which case I am disappointed that I missed Milligan’s when it was so close! Perhaps it is just my memory........ Presumably Milligan’s is the shop mentioned in post #22.

Peter
I've just had a walk up Brownlow Hill thanks to Google Maps Streetview and other than the RC Cathedral recognise nothing, I then searched Google for Milligans and amazingly found this which I have attached, it's from,
'Livepool Picture book' on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/LiverpoolPi...7875773967336/

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Milligans.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	213426  
Old 14th Aug 2020, 11:30 am   #498
Reelman
Octode

That’s the very shop John and exactly as I remember it! I even thought it was on a corner with a dead end street. Unfortunately can’t quite read the street name.
It must have closed shortly after we moved since the prices are pre ‘71. I still have bits bought from there.

I had a look at Streetview as well but so much has changed in 50 years as you say.

Peter
Old 14th Aug 2020, 12:10 pm   #499
stevehertz
Dekatron

As the song goes, "video killed the radio star", but surely "Software killed the electronics hobby shops" ?
Old 14th Aug 2020, 12:29 pm   #500
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
As the song goes, "video killed the radio star", but surely "Software killed the electronics hobby shops" ?
A lot of people are so software fixated that they forget that hardware is needed.

I once had some software that didn't need a computer. A Sony 3.5" floppy, the one in the plastic case. Slide the stainless aperture cover and you got an LCD. It was a rather basic calculator!

Along with those who ignore the need for hardware, there is a group who accept that computers are needed, forget the peripherals.... you can do anything if you only have a computer powerful enough! It's fun when they see the price (and the profit margin) on say a CNC machine tool, compared to the computer the CAD was done on

Joe public only seems to show any interest in radio gear when the internet and TV is down.

David