UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Sep 2012, 7:46 pm   #1
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Sound problem on boot

Not really vintage in radio terms, but as XP is entering the last year of support it soon will be!

I recently re-installed XP on the family Dell 2400 to cure accumulated detritus. It goes like a rocket again, but has now developed a "quirk" that I can't fathom.

On a cold boot there is no sound but it I reboot there is. The soundcard is not being installed, proved by Dxdiag and a diagnostic program. I can reinstall it, but next boot it's gone again until I do a warm boot. I rolled back to when I knew it was OK, but that has not made any difference.

It seems not to like the POST, but I can't see why. It's not vital, if we want sound rebooting now takes only a couple of minutes, but it's irritating.
Has anyone come across anything similar?
Old 30th Sep 2012, 1:25 pm   #2
G8VAT Wolfman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Sound problem on boot

Is the audio enabled in the BIOS settings?
Old 1st Oct 2012, 9:56 am   #3
terrybull
Octode

If it was okay pre re install then as suggested above have you changed the BIOS settings perhaps to get it to boot from the CD. If not then probably a driver issue. Are you 100% you have the correct driver. I know that some manufacturers suggest the order to install the drivers.
Old 1st Oct 2012, 11:54 am   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

I've been into the limited BIOS settings available and audio is enabled. There is a log, which went back to 2004, but it only showed memory change events and keyboard errors caused by too many F12s.
The sound was OK after re-installation, and the hundreds of updates, it just stopped working one day.
Whats so puzzling is that everything works, it just seems to get disabled on cold boots, or probably not enabled as the case may be. I'll keep looking, as I say it's not critical.
Old 2nd Oct 2012, 8:21 am   #5
terrybull
Octode

I assume you are using the on board sound. If you are using a separate pci sound card then you should disable the sound in the BIOS as they will conflict.
Old 2nd Oct 2012, 2:13 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

Hi Terry,
Yes, on-board sound (and video), pretty basic as bought.
Old 2nd Oct 2012, 5:01 pm   #7
terrybull
Octode

It could be one of the recent updates is causing problems with the driver. I'm not sure how you can solve this other than looking for an updated or alternate driver. You could buy a cheap pci sound card which is not solving the problem but going around it but at least it should work properly.
Old 2nd Oct 2012, 7:55 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

Yes, I assumed an update, but I rolled it back to where I thought it was working with no effect. I think I'll go back a few more just in case.
Old 2nd Oct 2012, 9:53 pm   #9
ColinB
Heptode

Try keying the Dell machine ID (called a Service Tag) into their website, and using the chipset and audio drivers it should offer you.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/...oductSelection

HTH
Old 3rd Oct 2012, 6:55 pm   #10
TrevorM6TSE
Heptode

Hi,

It's possible it is driver related as it worked before. One thing that I have seen is windows updates overwriting driver files. I would say remove the sound card drivers completely and reboot. Make sure then that it's service packed and windows updated, then go to Dell and get the absolute latest sound drivers and install them.

All the best,

Trev
Old 3rd Oct 2012, 7:34 pm   #11
AC/HL
Dekatron

I'm busy resurrecting my Grand daughter's laptop at the moment, but I'll get back ASAP.
Old 10th Oct 2012, 5:29 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

Well, it was the driver after all. I eventually managed to get onto the Dell site, it only likes IE and then couldn't auto detect my tag, but there was another driver there and it seems to have done the trick. Oddly, my workshop PC, the same model and also recently re-installed and with all updates, still works perfectly with the old driver. C'est la vie!
Old 11th Oct 2012, 10:26 am   #13
terrybull
Octode

I find that Dell service tag numbers are not recognised much of the time. In fact I only get about a 20% that are found. Then when you manually search your model find many different chipset drivers. I can only assume that the same model use different chipsets perhaps because of availability and supply issues so maybe that is why your other 'same model' was not effected.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 10:52 am   #14
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, I have two "identical" Dell laptops, but they have different MoBos, optical drives, modems etc. and so require different drivers (annoyingly).

N.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 11:35 am   #15
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Bill,

have been following your thread with interest, and it is good you have finally cured the problem.

I suspected drivers, but it seemed illogical (and still does) that the problem occured when cold booting but was cured when warm booting. If anything I would have expected the reverse.

On rare occasions I use Dell support, sometimes it is second to none, others a hard struggle, and sometimes non-existent, particularly when an older machine is involved.

Good Luck - Mike
Closed Thread