UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Apr 2012, 1:38 am   #1
Zelandeth
Heptode

Default Acorn A5000 Motherboard Battery Replacement

Hopefully a quick one here.

Having dragged my old A5000 down from the loft this evening, managing to do so without breaking my back somehow (quite how Acorn managed to make such a compact computer so heavy I will never know), the first thing which became apparent when powering it up was that it had no idea when it was - having reverted to 1992. Hmm methinks...That's not good, and it's never done that before.

Whipped the cover off, fearing the worst and sure enough the motherboard battery has become incontinent at some point while it's been in storage.

This was originally a Varta VR280R, which I assume was a NiCd cell - the modern equivalent seems to be identical save for being a NiMH version, would I assume that these are suitable just to drop in as a replacement?

Second question: What would you suggest to be the best course of action to remove the battery goop from the motherboard? It's turned a few things green, but hopefully there's no terminal damage done given that the machine seems to be working perfectly aside from lacking an ability to retain settings when the power's shut off...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC16816A.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	65933  
Old 29th Apr 2012, 2:12 am   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Acorn A5000 Motherboard Battery Replacement

Just drop an NiMh in there.
the charging requirements are the same and the capacity may be larger but that will not make any difference apart from lasting longer without being plugged in.
I think the goo is water based so after you have cleaned it off dry it off overnight before you fit the new battery.
Old 29th Apr 2012, 12:04 pm   #3
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Acorn A5000 Motherboard Battery Replacement

Hi Zelandeth,

I use a cottonbud and surgical spirit (ss) to remove the goo.

Am careful not to use too much ss, also where it goes, as it can remove printing etc.

Good Luck - Mike
Closed Thread