UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2014, 11:56 am   #21
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: 'Television' magazine - 'Practical Television' - distinct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
I don't know exactly how ["and Practical Television"] was handled in 1934.
Having recently purchased a DVD from Savoy Hill Publications containing scans of the first three years of Practical Wireless, I can confirm that a Practical Television section first appeared in the issue of 20-01-1934 and is a specific, separately numbered, four-page section.

I shall no doubt report further when I have ploughed through more of the scans. One thing I have noticed is that at some stage it changes from "Practical" to "Amateur" Television, but I haven't yet found when the change occurred.
Old 13th Mar 2014, 9:01 pm   #22
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Having now completed my current plough through year two (16-09-1933 to 29-09-1934), I can provide the following updates:

The Practical Television section dropped from four pages to two (or occasionally fewer) between 17-03-1934 and 25-08-1934, with an announcement in this issue that Practical Television is "now on sale" - presumably as a monthly publication starting with the September 1934 issue, though these details are not stated.

From 01-09-1934 the one- or two-page television section continues under the revised name of Amateur Television.

As an aside, the following appeared in the 12-05-1934 issue of PW:
Quote:
TELEVISION - THE NEXT MOVE In the House of Commons last week the Postmaster-General, Sir Kingsley Wood, stated that a committee is to be set up to consider Television as a public service. He said the committee would be asked to consider the development of television, and to advise on the conditions under which a public service could be provided.
Old 14th Mar 2014, 12:04 am   #23
Dave Moll
Dekatron

And finally (for the time being at least)...

A couple of minor name changes in 1935: to Practical & Amateur Wireless from 26-01-1935 and to Practical & Amateur Wireless & Amateur Television three weeks later.

The amateur television pages (between zero and two in number) continue throughout the name changes until 18-05-1935. Although Amateur Television is retained in the title through to the end of the issues of which I have scans (28-09-1935), I have not managed to find a television section after 18-05-1935. Just as well the Trade Descriptions Act hadn't been passed by then!
Old 14th Mar 2014, 12:23 pm   #24
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,

With reference to "Television Times", I have been looking at a few copies of Practical Television I have to hand. (I don't have my full collection to hand at the moment so I can't be too precise about dates.)

From this it would appear that the first four numbers of the magazine do not refer to "Television Times" but they do have a two page section of television news entitled TELENEWS. The page heading above this section says PRACTICAL TELEVISION.

Later (number 5 onwards?) the title of the magazine changes to "Practical Television & Television Times". The magazine still has a section entitled TELENEWS but the page heading above this section has now (certainly by number 9) changed to TELEVISION TIMES.
It would thus appear that the Television Times on the cover refers to a section in the magazine rather than the takeover of another magazine.
It is possible that the Television Times was added to the title to indicate that the magazine also included a news section and not just practical articles as the original title would imply.

By September 1964 "Television Times" had disappeared from the front cover, but it is still there on the title page, and on the page heading above the news section, although this is now called Teletopics not Telenews.

By 1967 "Television Times" has disappeared from the magazine completely although the Teletopics section still remains.

As I said in a previous post "Television Times" first seems to appear about 1935 as a TV section in "Popular Wireless and Television Times" magazine having previously just been called "Popular Wireless".

Yours, Richard
Old 14th Mar 2014, 2:55 pm   #25
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Moose View Post
With reference to "Television Times", I have been looking at a few copies of Practical Television I have to hand. (I don't have my full collection to hand at the moment so I can't be too precise about dates.)
See post no. 12