UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jun 2021, 2:24 pm   #1
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Default 657 kHz MW seems to be dead!

I think this is the correct part of the forum for this, mods, please move if need be.
I read on the forum's Facebook page that Radio Wales on 657 is gone, I tuned into it today to find a repeat message telling people to migrate elsewhere, does this mean it's now dead?
When will the transmitter officially be turned off?
Is Caroline going to claim it? I hope so.
This means it's now time to invest in a pantry TX setup, AM is dead as far as I'm concerned.
RIP Wrexham site. 1946 - 2021.
Old 12th Jun 2021, 2:46 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: 657MW seems to be dead!

It does look as if 657 is dead. Washford has also had its power reduced. This seems to be a matter of simple cost cutting.

I certainly hope the Wrexham transmitter is used for something else. It travels well, covering most of NW England and the Midlands as well as North Wales. It even gives a usable daytime signal here in Oxford.

I can imagine that lots of people in Wales will be pretty hacked off about this, given its hilly and rural character.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/work...d-mw-reduction
Old 12th Jun 2021, 3:27 pm   #3
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Given how it outputs 2000w, I would expect the signal to go at least 100 miles on a good day.
It is unknown what the future holds at the moment, the repeat message is advising people to tune in to FM & digital/streaming.
Streaming is something not many people do around here, they prefer bog standard instead.
TBH, I haven't really listened to it much since Chris Needs died last year, radio died when he did.
Old 12th Jun 2021, 3:39 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

If people don't do streaming for the radio program then maybe that's where the problem lies, most folks just aren't interested these days, period.

Lawrence.
Old 12th Jun 2021, 3:59 pm   #5
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Where I live, people would be happy using DAB but the streaming thing ain't quite caught on yet.
Broadband speeds are not an issue, it averages 40 meg but the general population is split between new age millennials and old timers.
DAB reception here can be a bit hit & miss at times, the main networks can come from any TX, I can receive primarily from the Midlands, Winter Hill sometimes works and Liverpool on a good day.
There are too many regions on DAB, it's confusing at times trying to figure out where it's coming from, I usually stick to Kisstory, it's regional and plays old skool, nowt wrong with that.
P.S. I'm a 90's kid with an interest in 60's stuff, go figure.
Old 12th Jun 2021, 6:45 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: 657 kHz MW seems to be dead!

I wonder what 'interesting' MW DX will emerge now that the local signal on that frequency has gone? A bit of Googlism suggests italy and Spain also use the frequency, along with several African countries.
Old 12th Jun 2021, 8:20 pm   #7
sexton_mallard
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
I wonder what 'interesting' MW DX will emerge now that the local signal on that frequency has gone? A bit of Googlism suggests italy and Spain also use the frequency, along with several African countries.
There certainly some overlap around 657kHz as sometimes I'd get another station breaking through when listening to R Wales on 657 at the time. I will however miss the almost perfect reception on my AM only sets. I'd like to know if there will be an Optimod going cheap as my pantry TX sounds thin and tinny, not having a particular audio frequency response. I'll look for a graphic equaliser down the car booty tomorrow .

Less snakes...more ladders!
Old 13th Jun 2021, 2:14 pm   #8
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Sorry to see another one go. I used to listen to Radio Wales a fair bit and sometimes used 657 though generally 882 was best with me.

However, in another respect it is good news: I will be able to listen to Caroline without the splatter, especially on my Hacker Sovereign.
Old 14th Jun 2021, 1:06 pm   #9
John10b
Nonode

I can receive Radio Wales on 882Khz, albeit a weak signal. I’m not sure which tx I’m picking up, any suggestions?
I used to receive Tywyn, which is almost line of sight across Cardigan the bay, but I understand that am tx stopped some time ago.
John
Old 14th Jun 2021, 3:09 pm   #10
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Always willing to be corrected on this but I think Washford is the only Tx left on 882, or if not soon will be.

I understand Penmon 882 has been breaking into programmes to run a closure announcement. If you don’t hear an announcement then you’re getting Washford.

Washford is reducing power. In theory, removing an S point, for example, would take it down to 25kW.
Old 14th Jun 2021, 3:16 pm   #11
paulsherwin

Yes, Washford is going to be the only Radio Wales MW transmitter, which is ironic as it's actually in England Washford does cover the south coast and valleys quite well, but if you're a Gog you're out of luck.
Old 14th Jun 2021, 3:22 pm   #12
agardiner
Octode

Radio Caroline is an excellent station in my humble opinion. Offers something a little different, and somehow sounds 'right' on 648Khz.

Given that they still appear to be heavily supportive of MW, it certainly would be an opportunity for them to expand their reach if they took over one or two of the old BBC frequencies.
Old 14th Jun 2021, 9:24 pm   #13
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Given that Caroline runs on volunteers and Support Group donations, etc., I suspect that the current arrangement is as good as it gets. There have been some mutterings about upping the power on 648. I don’t think there would be much official opposition as, given it’s one of the oldest stations around, Caroline has become the radio equivalent of a heritage steam railway, though for all that its programming, so different from the regular narrow-playlist dominated stations, is very welcome.

It’s just a shame that with all the closures it is not on a clear channel as the beating makes it useless at a distance at night.
Old 16th Jun 2021, 9:35 am   #14
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
It does look as if 657 is dead. Washford has also had its power reduced. This seems to be a matter of simple cost cutting.

I certainly hope the Wrexham transmitter is used for something else. It travels well, covering most of NW England and the Midlands as well as North Wales. It even gives a usable daytime signal here in Oxford.

I can imagine that lots of people in Wales will be pretty hacked off about this, given its hilly and rural character.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/work...d-mw-reduction
I have not noticed any difference in the reception of BBC R Wales on 882 AM, both by day or night, since Washford reduced its power from 100kw to 50Kw. On my radio which does have a signal strength meter on AM instead of showing all 5 bars its now flitting between 4-5 bars. Its now only BBC R5L from the 50Kw transmitter at Clevedon on 909 which shows all 5 bars.
Old 16th Jun 2021, 10:09 pm   #15
trsomian
Hexode

Tywyn masts etc looked complete when I walked past it a couple of weeks ago, but what it was actually sending out obviously I couldn't tell by looking
Old 17th Jun 2021, 10:27 am   #16
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsomian View Post
Tywyn masts etc looked complete when I walked past it a couple of weeks ago, but what it was actually sending out obviously I couldn't tell by looking
The Tywyn transmitter still puts out BBC R5L on 990Khz.
Old 18th Jun 2021, 1:38 pm   #17
Aub
Nonode

That's interesting Simon. I always listen to 990 when I'm visiting my sister in Cardigan.

Cheers

Aub
Old 18th Jun 2021, 6:49 pm   #18
John10b
Nonode

Further to my post #5, so it’s Watford that I’m receiving, thank you Paul. Also thank you HT for the information.
Picture of Tywyn masts.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1318B202-D55B-4291-97D6-43346996DCE6.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	236077  
Old 23rd Jun 2021, 11:09 pm   #19
sexton_mallard
Hexode

The 657 transmitter is now silent. No doubt the masts are soon to be demolished.

Less snakes...more ladders!
Old 24th Jun 2021, 11:04 am   #20
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Yep, it's dead.
Just tried the radio on full blast, nothing more than background static and nothing else.
I think it's now time to start an anti-demolition protest, there seems to be protests for everything else!