UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2021, 11:20 am   #21
JohnJones
Triode

Default Re: MK14 computer with a OK-80a paper tape reader - what data required for the paper

I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has responded to my original post. It's all been very helpful. My file (in raw Hex ) is now with the paper tape supplier, so we'll see how it goes.

And, yes, I'm doing this just to recreate a possible historical situation, where an MK14 user in 1978 may have got hold of an OP-80a and tried this out. Once I get this working on the MK14 I'll have a go with another retro computer – likely the KIM-1.

Thanks again.
Old 13th May 2021, 11:54 am   #22
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: MK14 computer with a OK-80a paper tape reader - what data required for the paper

OK John, be sure to let us know how it went.
Old 13th May 2021, 3:40 pm   #23
TonyDuell
Dekatron

One other thing that I think I can trivially produce is a test tape of an increasing binary count from 0 to 255 on the tape. That might be useful for checking all the channels on the reader work correctly, there is no crosstalk, etc.
Old 13th May 2021, 4:00 pm   #24
ortek_service
Octode

It's a bit late now that the Moon Lander program has been sent to the Punched Tape-supplier, , but I suppose JJ could have appended a test pattern sequence / other computer versions of the Moon-Land - maybe with a few Null's etc. between these, to cut up yourself.
- Assuming there's mainly a set-up charge, and that cost (per-inch?) of the tape isn't too much.
(Although maybe you can just get them to produce a few tapes to different programs while they're at it, if it's mainly a total order / delivery cost).
Old 13th May 2021, 6:03 pm   #25
Timbucus
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJones View Post
I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has responded to my original post. It's all been very helpful. My file (in raw Hex ) is now with the paper tape supplier, so we'll see how it goes.

And, yes, I'm doing this just to recreate a possible historical situation, where an MK14 user in 1978 may have got hold of an OP-80a and tried this out. Once I get this working on the MK14 I'll have a go with another retro computer – likely the KIM-1.

Thanks again.
I totally understand the thinking my original reason to get one was to hook it up to my little Alpha I am building using a PI as an emulator so that I could read back in my tape and try it!

Then of course why would you not hook it up to all the retro machines you have - maybe load Benton Harbor BASIC into my H8 would be fun.
Closed Thread