UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2021, 3:39 pm   #101
Slothie
Octode

Default Re: Commodore PET 2001

Well I'm glad its going. Clean examples sell on eBay etc for well over £1000, I don't think the memory issue is going to put much of a dent in that. It is possible to get NOS 6550's (they're around £15 each) but if I needed to get 6 then for £90 you could expand it to 32k, I'm not sure having the full 8k is going to add £120 to its value but I guess if it doesn't sell because if its memory then you could always try that later.
I'm not intending to sell mine, but then it has sentimental value to me.
Old 31st Jan 2021, 5:22 pm   #102
ajgriff
Nonode

My main concern here is to pass it on to someone who will value the PET for what it is rather than what it's worth. My reward has been the pleasure gained from learning something new and the satisfaction associated with returning the PET to good health.

Before it goes I would quite like to see it operating with a full 8k of RAM. The only supplier of MPS 6550s I've found is LittleDiode and aside from the £15 a piece price tag I'm wary of the supplier's somewhat dubious reputation but that's not for discussion here. Another option could be:

https://www.tindie.com/products/niva...550-pet-2001s/

Looks like a very neat and easily reversible solution at a reasonable price I think. I'm not sure that I'm in the mood to go down the DIY route.

All food for thought. I musn't forget that I still need to sort out the datasette assuming it can be recovered from its hiding place. It'll almost certainly need a new belt after all this time.

Alan
Old 31st Jan 2021, 6:34 pm   #103
Slothie
Octode

That really does look like a good solution, and as you say is a reversable solution should your future owner wish to.
I appreciate you're not doing it for the money, I suppose my main point was the cost of "authentic" memory is only worth it if authenticity is a top priority. I hope you find a worthy new owner who will look after it The enthusiast community for these computers is small but in recent years seems to have taken off.
Old 2nd Feb 2021, 8:07 pm   #104
ajgriff
Nonode

Once I get started on something like this I sometimes find it difficult to stop and that’s the way it’s been with the PET. The scratches on top of the monitor in particular have been irritating me. Added to that two of the four case fixing screws had gone missing plus three of eight tiny self-tappers securing the keyboard in position. The keys also needed a thorough clean.

Disguising scratches by retouching rarely looks good so I decided to respray the top of the monitor. The rest of the case is in such good condition it didn’t warrant a full respray. Before and after photos are attached. The paint is actually radiator enamel and is a reasonably good match.

The keyboard has been cleaned too (see photo) and I’ve replaced the missing screws. The 8k RAM Replacement as well as the datasette belt are on order.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PET Scratches.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	225831   Click image for larger version

Name:	PET Respray.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	225832   Click image for larger version

Name:	PEt Keyboard.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	225833  
Old 2nd Feb 2021, 8:19 pm   #105
duncanlowe
Nonode

Seeing the keyboard, reminds me that all of the ones I came in contact with had the 'A' key severely worn away. The rest were OK.
Old 2nd Feb 2021, 10:19 pm   #106
Slothie
Octode

The keyboard looks great. I've got to replace a keycap on mine, possibly a plunger, which will be interesting. Other than that the caps aren't worn, because I built a "proper" keyboard from a VT52 keyboard back in the day so the PET keyboard was only really used for typing graphics characters.
Old 3rd Feb 2021, 10:42 am   #107
ajgriff
Nonode

I suspect that the condition of the keyboard is indicative of something that was bought as an expensive toy and rapidly became a white elephant when the RAM failed. Not much that can be done done about yellowing of the keys unfortunately.

Alan
Old 3rd Feb 2021, 11:39 am   #108
Slothie
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
Not much that can be done done about yellowing of the keys unfortunately.

Alan
"Retrobriting" with peroxide and UV light is very trendy in the retro computer community for yellowed plastics, but with this keyboard given the aluminium keycap legends I wouldn't recommend it. To be honest, I don't mind the slight signs of age and I've seen plastics ruined with retrobriting. It can make them blotchy or brittle.
Old 3rd Feb 2021, 11:43 am   #109
ajgriff
Nonode

Agreed and they will remain as they are.

Alan
Old 4th Feb 2021, 2:19 pm   #110
Manx Nick
Pentode

Hi I would love this computer, however I live on the Isle of Man, so postage would be a problem. What were you thinking of for selling it? I have a working CBM 4032 plus two cassette drives and software, I'd love a chiclet key PET.

Hope you can pass it on to someone who can look after it

Thanks

Nick
Old 4th Feb 2021, 3:27 pm   #111
ajgriff
Nonode

Will send a PM to Nick explaining my current thinking. In the meantime I'm waiting for the datasette and the 8k RAM board to arrive although I do now have a new belt for the datasette. General cleaning and fettling is ongoing.

Alan
Old 6th Feb 2021, 10:27 pm   #112
ajgriff
Nonode

The 8k RAM replacement board (see post #102 above for details) arrived today and has now been fitted. Have to say that I'm delighted with it. The PET is pleased too and is running at full RAM capacity such as it is. See attached photos.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PET 8k Board.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	226123   Click image for larger version

Name:	PET Mem.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	226124  
Old 7th Feb 2021, 10:42 am   #113
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Be careful aj, very soon you'll be giving it a PET name and clearing a permanent place for it to live.

I think if I owned one of those in original working order I'd still buy one of those reasonably priced RAM boards and put it aside as a very quick way of immediately eliminating the RAM as a cause of any future faults.
Old 7th Feb 2021, 4:44 pm   #114
Slothie
Octode

I've been relaxing with the VICE PET emulator reliving my days of youth programming the 2001.... Its been quite an eye-opener, you kind of get used to how fast modern computers are. Its certainly a LOT easier writing assembler on a laptop and copying it to the emulators simulated floppy to try it out! I've also started recreating Star Trek based on David Ahls "101 BASIC computer games" book, although I've had to "upgrade" the 2001 to 32k to fit it in.... Should have plenty to play with by the time I get my actual PET working.
Old 8th Feb 2021, 10:00 am   #115
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
Be careful aj, very soon you'll be giving it a PET name and clearing a permanent place for it to live.
Clear and present danger but I'm trying hard to resist!

Alan
Old 11th Feb 2021, 2:54 pm   #116
ajgriff
Nonode

All efforts (by proxy) to locate the original datasette have so far come to nought. As it doesn't look likely that I'll be able to look for it in person for a while I decided to take a chance on a 'parts' datasette which duly arrived in the post yesterday. The attached photos are indicative of the fact that this will be something of a mini restoration project in its own right.

Although the machine appears to be complete an initial assessment has revealed the following issues:

1. The tape was applied because one of the three case fixings is damaged.

2. There's a small piece missing from the front upper half of the case.

3. There are burn marks to the top just above the keys.

4. This particular datasette was probably sold to complement a VIC20 as the cable is far too long for the PET.

5. The drive belt is badly perished.

6. The silver trim (paint) around the cassette window has largely worn away.

I'm not at all unhappy with the seller's description nor the price paid and am looking forward to working on it. Progress reports to follow.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dat 1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	226497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dat 4.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	226498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dat 5.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	226499  
Old 11th Feb 2021, 2:58 pm   #117
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

It does sound as though you're delighted that it has so many minor problems to sort out.

If it had been honestly described I suspect you'd be perfectly happy with it.
Old 11th Feb 2021, 4:52 pm   #118
ajgriff
Nonode

I'm delighted with anything interesting that helps to keep me occupied during lockdown.

In fairness to the seller I hope to have made it clear that the datasette was very honestly described with lots of clear photos.

Alan
Old 11th Feb 2021, 5:48 pm   #119
Slothie
Octode

Poor thing looks like it has had a hard time! Still, with a bit of a clean up it should look OK although the "scar" on the face will probably not polish out. It looks like the datasette sold for the PET as the "second cassette" (to plug in the port at the back). There was one just like that (minus the fabric tape!) at school when I was a nipper.
Old 12th Feb 2021, 10:46 am   #120
ajgriff
Nonode

Good point about the likelihood of this datasette being intended for use as a second unit, thus the long cable. Thinking about it the VIC 20 version was the same shape but white with the addition of a tape counter. I had thought about shortening the cable to match the PET's original datasette but it might be better to simply dress the long cable with a tie-wrap.

For information I'm attaching a copy of the C2N datasette service manual although it only deals with the electronics of the various versions. The PET 2001-8 uses the early #320009 assembly.

Alan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf C2N 1530 1531 Service Manual.pdf (1.66 MB, 77 views)
Closed Thread