UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Apr 2024, 8:04 pm   #1
pmmunro
Octode

Default Stayed Cable Stiffening of Masts, e.g. TV Aerial Masts

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of stiffening, or increasing the rigidity, of masts, such as television aerial poles using stayed cable bracing please?

It took me some time to find the correct terminology, which might suggest that the subject is not widely known, so I have attached an image. More information can also be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=mPox4zMq4Xk for anyone interested enough.

At present this is largely an academic question triggered by putting up a slim pole for a radio data (ethernet) link. I think this pole will be quite adequate for the relatively light load but it made me think about how the pole could be stiffened if it needed to be.

I believe that I have seen this technique used on television receiving aerial poles but I haven't been able to find any suppliers offering components for this for sale. Could it be that it's usually just simpler and cheaper to use a larger diameter mast or do people make up their own?

PMM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stayed Cable Columns.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	296340  
Old 14th Apr 2024, 12:14 am   #2
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Re: Stayed Cable Stiffening of Masts, e.g. TV Aerial Masts

No experience of that but one it looks like a lot of work where a thicker mast would be simpler and two, I suspect it could get very noisy (audible noise) with the wind whistling through all those stays.
Old 14th Apr 2024, 3:16 am   #3
trevatxtal
Triode

Only the first illustration will work with the spreaders in the middle.
The others will fail and come lose. 3 or 4 lines can be used.
I have used this method using bamboo poles in the Borneo jungle! 50 to 60 foot no problem.
Old 14th Apr 2024, 2:05 pm   #4
Cobaltblue

After a discussion among the moderators it was decided that this is off topic for this forum.
It might be better in a forum dedicated to amateur radio.

However we will leave the existing posts in situ and close the thread.

Anyone with practical experience can contact the OP by PM.

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread