UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 17th Apr 2024, 2:00 am   #1
Rileyman
Pentode

Default Walkie-Talkies ?

I need a means of communicating between house and outbuilding and have been told that modern versions of the above exist . Can someone please point me in the right direction ? They must be reliable , and easily used by a person with osteoarthritis of the hands .

Any advice welcome !

Laurie.
Rileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2024, 6:21 am   #2
dglcomp
Heptode

Default Re: Walkie-Talkies ?

PMR446 radios is what you want to be looking for, just pick a decent brand and ones with a a decent amount of range quoted and you should be in business. They're licence free and give you either 8 or 16 channels, some also support digital voice encoding and CTSS/DCS to give you more virtual channels.
dglcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2024, 8:31 am   #3
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

I have used these from Amazon on canal holidays. They work over a reasonable distance and so far have been reliable.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Channels-Ta...ustomerReviews

Malcolm
Malcolm G6ANZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2024, 8:37 am   #4
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

+1 for PMR446.

As dglc said, don't buy the cheapest models which only have 8 FM voice channels and no additional form of encoding - you want models which at least have CTCSS, sometimes also called 'privacy codes' although that is actually a misleading description.

The thing to bear in mind is that PMR446 is essentially a UHF low power CB system, in that anyone who wants to can go out and buy a radio or two so when using them, don't pass any sensitive information which you wouldn't want overheard.

SWMBO and I use a pair of PMR446 radios all the time in any space where we are liable to wander off into different areas, be it supermarkets, parks, gardens, museums - it's just so much easier and more instant than texting or using a mobile. I've used them at air shows where they usually just about cover the whole area, even at larger venues like Fairford. In an urban environment the range may not be much more than one street but they should easily work for your scenario.

If they need to be physically easy to use then maybe the ergonomic qualities of the sets will need to be one of your priorities - most have a narrow push to talk button on the side but some have a larger one centrally mounted on the front, which may or may not be easier for an arthritic person to manage.

PMR446 radios often (but not always) have a feature on them known as 'vox' where the radio automatically transmits when it hears sound, granting hands free operation, the only problem being that it will transmit when it hears any kind of sound, like background music, TV, kettle boiling, or that sound you make when you've just hit your thumb with a hammer - so not suitable for all use cases.

Also, if you are going to be running them all day, best to pick a model which uses rechargeable batteries and can be dropped into a mains powered charging 'pod' when not in use. The low-end models tend to assume occasional use powered by Alkaline batteries which would be uneconomic for day-in, day-out use.
SiriusHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2024, 8:42 am   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

The ones Malcolm mentions may be more powerful non-type-approved radios which have been pre-programmed with PMR446 frequencies - as such, they may not actually be legal for use on PMR446. For the OP's scenario legal, purpose-made half-watt PMR446 radios will work more than well enough.
Old 17th Apr 2024, 9:03 am   #6
Andrew2
Nonode

Like Sirius and his wife, we use a pair of PMR446 radios when we go out and are likely to get separated. Very useful. Ours are badged Motorola but I suspect most have the same innards. They are just basic 8 channel types with no ctcss and in a built-up area have a shortish range, around 300 metres. From hilltop sites they go a long way.
Old 17th Apr 2024, 11:32 am   #7
paulsherwin

An ordinary DECT cordless phone setup may have sufficient range for this.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2024, 11:35 am   #8
Chris R
Pentode

Some time ago I bought a number of PMR446 radios (3 different makes) for use at events and shows. I would agree with Andy - keep them simple.
There is no real advantage with CTSS. Other users can still monitor your transmissions and if others are using a different CTSS tone, then you will not know if that channel is in use nearby.
Make sure that you rechargeable batteries and that they can be charged without having to remove them. Several that I have use a wall charger with a split lead, so that 2 sets can be charged at once. An earphone / speaker socket can be useful.
Many have extra features, such as channel scan, 'Roger' beep, etc., but I don't think Laurie would need to use them.
Range is vary variable, depending on terrain, buildings etc.
I have found Midland (Alan) well made and reliable.

Chris R
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2024, 11:41 am   #9
paulsherwin

Is there a reason why you can't just use the mobile phone network for this?
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2024, 11:52 am   #10
Dave757
Heptode

Hi,

I'm also in favour of using DECT phones for this. They can have a surprising range.
If you have these already, you will have permanent chargers installed, so no hassle
with realising that the batteries on your PMRs have gone flat.

Plus of course the added benefit that you can make or receive phone calls as well!

Kind regards
Dave.
Dave757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2024, 12:09 pm   #11
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
There is no real advantage with CTSS. Other users can still monitor your transmissions and if others are using a different CTSS tone, then you will not know if that channel is in use nearby.
That is actually the reason for CTCSS, to enable channel sharing in an RF-rich environment where there may be other users whose traffic you don't want to hear using whichever channel (of 8 or 16) you choose to use. Two groups using two different CTCSS codes on the same RF channel can exist quite amicably without bothering each other unless both groups try to transmit at the same time.

With CTCSS, even if someone else is using the same channel as you and in range, you don't need to be distracted by their occasional transmissions. If you tried to use a pair of plain 8-channel PMR446 radios (without CTCSS) at a major event with a big crowd you would be driven to distraction by other people's transmissions on 'your' channel.

Regarding DECT phones, the pair supplied with SWMBO's BT home hub are able to call each other like intercoms, and in my experience this is usually the case with any pair, trio or quad set of DECT phones so if the base station range does reach to the shed a pair of DECT phones could do the trick, as has been stated.
Old 17th Apr 2024, 12:19 pm   #12
GMB
Dekatron

Quote:
The ones Malcolm mentions may be more powerful non-type-approved radios which have been pre-programmed with PMR446 frequencies
I think that unlikely. They look like PMR446 to me as they have the characteristic fixed aerial (a requirement).
When they talk of "long range" I think they just mean that they are getting more out of the specification than a crudely designed one, e.g. a sensitive receiver and the aerial designed as well as possible.

I have compared a number of these and the surprise was that the more expensive ones were actually less good at resolving a signal getting into the noise. The radiated power were all much the same.

But I have to say that PMR446 sets run their batteries down quite quickly so a DECT setup with mains-powered bases would be more convenient.
GMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2024, 12:56 pm   #13
The Philpott
Dekatron

Post No.9:-

Yes, it's partly topography- the mobile signal is notoriously poor. Also it's the fumble-free attributes of press to talk.

Rechargeables definitely the way to go, my Motorolas are too basic and have alkaline AAA cells which don't last. Alright for a twice yearly half a day in a shopping centre, nothing more.

Dave
The Philpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2024, 1:55 pm   #14
McMurdo
Dekatron

argos do domestic 2-way walkie talkies
Old 17th Apr 2024, 2:20 pm   #15
dglcomp
Heptode

We use licenced two way radios at work and they work so much better than using a phone or text based system, of course for our use being able to hear what others are saying is handy as we can jump in as necessary, plus we have different channels for different departments so if we need to get hold of maintenance, fir example, it's easy.
Plus with a radio you don't need to touch it if message doesn't need a response.
Old 17th Apr 2024, 2:44 pm   #16
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB View Post
Quote:
The ones Malcolm mentions may be more powerful non-type-approved radios which have been pre-programmed with PMR446 frequencies
I think that unlikely. They look like PMR446 to me as they have the characteristic fixed aerial (a requirement).
True, and a quick look at the 'specifications' does look very close to a typical purpose made PMR446 radio (only modest 3-5km range claimed, 16 channels - there were originally only 8 x PMR446 channels but now there are 16 - 38 x CTCSS, etc). It's just that the main heading for that listing doesn't even contain the phrase 'PMR446'. That only comes later, under the band / frequency heading.

If they really are made for a fixed purpose, to an approved specification and not easily modifiable away from that specification that would be a first from Baofeng as far as I know.

I have to say that taken at face value, they look to be good value for money. An equivalent pair of Motorola PMR446 radios could easily cost £60-£100. (Your Binatones, etc, are a lot cheaper).

Last edited by SiriusHardware; 17th Apr 2024 at 2:49 pm.
Old 17th Apr 2024, 3:30 pm   #17
John10b
Nonode

Just to add a comment, if you use the public mobile system be aware that other people, including Children, may be using same channel, so use your own “call sign” and be guarded in what you say.
John
John10b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2024, 4:27 pm   #18
dglcomp
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
Just to add a comment, if you use the public mobile system be aware that other people, including Children, may be using same channel, so use your own “call sign” and be guarded in what you say.
John
Quite, as an aside I brought my nephew some kids walkie-talkies which use encrypted transmissions.
Old 17th Apr 2024, 5:14 pm   #19
bigfathairyvika
Hexode

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Retevis-RB6.../dp/B0C53X4XS2

These are advertised as having a big ptt button for easy use.

Some of the small side button walkie-talkies require a fair push on a small button.
bigfathairyvika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2024, 6:49 pm   #20
Phil__G
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
There is no real advantage with CTSS ... if others are using a different CTSS tone, then you will not know if that channel is in use nearby.
Our family business is a large boarding kennels and we've used PMR446 since its inception, lots of different radios and they've all had a 'channel busy' indicator, so you do know if its in use As a daily user I dont agree that theres no advantage in CTSS, its great for when you dont want to hear anything but your partner, without it the thing can be babbling away all day, which is annoying and drains your battery
Phil__G is offline   Reply With Quote