UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2019, 4:52 am   #1
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default "Walking Man" for 8080 computers.

I just finished my "Walking Man" for the 1976 vintage SOL-20 computer. And put up a brief you tube video. The Sol-20 just has character text, no graphics screens.

It was harder than it looks. Part of the problem with a walking stick figure is that if the arms & legs (R&L) don't look different, then when they swing past the central axis (or body) and leave again, the brain can interpret that they have simply reversed directions and in that case a walking motion is not simulated. So to get the brain (visual system) to think they have swung past the body, they need to have a different posture for the R & L arms and legs. Since in this case there are only a limited number of character symbol positions on the screen to get a plausible looking shape is was tricky to get the walking to look realistic. On top of that I have only just learnt some 8080 assembly language and it was a challenge for me to program it (I mainly work on the hardware side of things).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pebj4s1sUU0

I got the idea for this from some simple walking man graphics I have seen at pedestrian crossings on arrays of LED's and the simplicity of them has always appealed to me.
Old 17th Mar 2019, 10:49 am   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: "Walking Man" for 8080 computers.

Well done! I look forward to an entirely character based 'Prince Of Persia' with the figure performing various parkour moves next.
Old 17th Mar 2019, 11:01 am   #3
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I'm afraid even with the asymmetry, I just see the image of Harry Worth and his reflection in the shop window!
Old 18th Mar 2019, 11:03 am   #4
Alvin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
I'm afraid even with the asymmetry, I just see the image of Harry Worth and his reflection in the shop window!
Old 18th Mar 2019, 11:36 am   #5
Alvin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
https://vimeo.com/39133192
Old 19th Mar 2019, 3:18 pm   #6
PsychMan
Octode

Excellent work, thanks for sharing
Old 19th Mar 2019, 7:31 pm   #7
Martin Bush
Octode

It works for me and I think it helps to look at the face. I wonder if doing that somehow tells your brain that it's a real person hence it's walking.

I like stuff like this - great work!
Old 20th Mar 2019, 12:04 pm   #8
ekjdm14
Banned

I think looking at the face is a big factor yes, works well for me if I look at the face first but if I just look at the body, it's Harry Worth!

Quite an achievement though on a character based system, I too would very much enjoy seeing/playing Prince of Persia in this fashion! (Might grab the Game Gear and have a blast at it now I'm reminded of it)
Old 20th Mar 2019, 12:55 pm   #9
ms660
Dekatron

Not Harry Worth his foot is well elevated....

Lawrence.
Old 20th Mar 2019, 1:37 pm   #10
MrBungle
Dekatron

Very cool stuff and a great implementation. Looks really good.
Closed Thread