UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2010, 1:12 pm   #1
Jim_746
Pentode

Default Psion Organiser II

I have a Psion Organiser II LZ64 and if it is subjected to a sharp change of direction it resets as if the battery does not make a permenant conection with the contacts. Has anyone else encountered this?

Cheers.
Old 7th Oct 2010, 4:57 pm   #2
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Default Re: Psion Organiser II

I used to have a load of these until i was strapped for cash and sold them (i have a very special copy of the book machine code for the psion II - it was the authors own copy he lent me, all attempt to give it back have failed!)

If i remember correctly the battery was often a bit loose, try packing a bit of foam under the bottom of the battery to keep it from moving and to press it against the contacts
Old 8th Oct 2010, 11:22 am   #3
ajs37
Heptode

I agree with Martin - I had several of these and they do have this problem - sponge solved it everytime
Cheers
Andy
Old 9th Oct 2010, 3:26 pm   #4
Jim_746
Pentode

Cheers for that. I have a folded piece of paper in mine but unlike sponge it does not fill the entire gap so the battery some times did move. Sponge it is!
Old 5th Jan 2011, 7:15 pm   #5
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

By lucky chance ive re-aquired an LZ! The battery contacts seem ok but i think theres another power problem, as its eaten two batteries so far (annoying as i had just about typed the hexloader program in and i have no RAMPacks! )

I cant decide whether to keep hold of it or not. If i could find a SITOR/RTTY/NAVTEX decoder program for it it would be useful, but there seems to be precious little software outthere, nor even program listings to type in

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Old 11th Jan 2011, 10:27 pm   #6
christge
Tetrode

I used to have one. I distinctly remember it eating batteries. I am fairly sure there was nothing wrong with it (and I had mem packs), just old technology = high power consumption.
Old 11th Jan 2011, 11:43 pm   #7
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by christge View Post
I used to have one. I distinctly remember it eating batteries. I am fairly sure there was nothing wrong with it (and I had mem packs), just old technology = high power consumption.
THis ate them over a handful of hours whilst off. It could also have been the batteries - they were on my shelf, not new ones!

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Old 23rd Jan 2012, 1:43 am   #8
christge
Tetrode

I had one briefly, but as it isn't what I usually collected, I parted with it not long after acquiring it. I definitely remember it eating batteries for lunch, dinner & supper!!
Old 23rd Jan 2012, 9:42 am   #9
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Have one about with all the paperwork and extra memory, but I think its a 3a, its about with a donkey kong and mario bros, CGL ones.
Old 14th Feb 2012, 1:09 am   #10
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Still have one here in working order, I used it in the early to mid 1990s for various purposes to do with work, most notably as an on-site CCTV camera controller (I looked after town centre CCTV cameras for a while - the telemetry receivers had an RS232 port which was intended as one way to get the control signals into them from a remote location, but it came in handy for we engineers so we could steer the camera / zoom in / zoom out / focus etc as though we were the controller back in the control room).

The program to do it was written in something Psion insisted on calling OPL, although it was remarkably similar to BASIC - that's what I liked about the Psions - as with the 1980s generation of home computers, they came with a useful programming language built-in.
Closed Thread