UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Oct 2011, 8:13 pm   #1
dragonser
Heptode

Default win 3.1 setup and graphics question

Hi,
sorry if this question is on equipment that is newer that most discussed here. I have been trying out an old hard disk that has win 3.1 installed on it. the system seems to boot up ok, but one of the error messages seems to relate to the graphics card that isn't on the system I am running it up on.
is there any way to get the windows to default to the standard vga, 16 colour 640 x 480 screen resolution ? I was hoping there might be a way without reinstalling windows ?
it has been a while since I have used win 3.1 or 3.11 ...
Old 26th Oct 2011, 8:18 pm   #2
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: win 3.1 setup and graphics question

I have a faint memory that there was a Windows SETUP program run from DOS which did things like change the video drivers. I think it's just SETUP.EXE in C:\WINDOWS.
Old 26th Oct 2011, 11:49 pm   #3
fetteler
Octode

It's a long time ago but the previous post has jogged my memory; I think you need a startup disk... I may have one somewhere and if you get really stuck I'll have a look for it. It is a bootable floppy which has a few choice DOS commands which can be used to get you out of trouble.
Alternatively, I seem to remember using a function key (F5??) during startup, this skips config.sys + autoexec.bat and just loads command.com along with DOS so you should be able to get in there and do a bit of editing.

Wow! You've got me thinking I fancy getting an old 3.1 box going again - I've got an old 486/25 somewhere

Cheers,
Steve.
Old 27th Oct 2011, 11:06 am   #4
dragonser
Heptode

Hi, thanks for all the advice. I think I have the floppy disks for the win 3.1 so I will investigate. I will try the F5 key , I didn't know about that.
Old 27th Oct 2011, 11:52 am   #5
cmjones01
Nonode

Is the system trying to boot straight into Windows on startup? If so, you'll need to use the F5 trick to stop it doing that. For testing purposes I'd recommend editing AUTOEXEC.BAT to remove the line which starts Windows - I think it's just 'win'.

You shouldn't need the floppies to run SETUP.EXE because it gets installed on the hard drive with the rest of Windows.
Old 27th Oct 2011, 12:08 pm   #6
Alistair D
Nonode

If windows is booting from startup then you may need to use an dos start up trick. From power on repeatedly press the F8(as far as I remember). This will force autoexec.bat and config.sys to run line by line. You have to type Y or N to each command. When it to Win.exe type N then carry on to the end. Change directories to C:\Win and type setup.

Al
Old 27th Oct 2011, 5:16 pm   #7
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Perhaps my memory's faulty, but doesn't W3.1 default to CGA unless a VGA driver is installed?
Old 27th Oct 2011, 6:07 pm   #8
dragonser
Heptode

Hi, just to confirm that it boots into DOS, then I can start up Windows.

But it gives some error messages. I will make a note of them, and investigate more when I am next to where the computer is, then I will report back.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 28th Oct 2011 at 11:17 am. Reason: Typos edited.
Old 28th Oct 2011, 4:32 pm   #9
ed731pdh
Retired Dormant Member

AFAIR a windows setup disk will allow you to change the default video card but I agree, windows should default back to VGA but will still try to load up the video card drivers specified. Again, running the setup software will allow you to reset the drivers back to the basic setup.

Know what you mean about old PCs and software. Along with old software (Windows 3.0 anyone?) I have a Compaq Workstation 5000 sitting here as a book rest, fitted with a pair of Pentium Pro processors and running under NT4 with SCSI drives. Old old old, but fun to play with.
Old 29th Oct 2011, 12:01 pm   #10
8 Tracker
Hexode

If you run setup.exe from within the Windows directory, it will allow you to change certain start-up settings, including video mode. However, if you run setup before going into the Windows directory, it will ask you for the disks and do a complete re-installation.

I have a 486DX2-66 single board computer with a dedicated colour LCD display (ultra high-tech back then). I have managed to persuade NT4 to run on it. The only problem is, what can I do with it?
Mark.
Old 29th Oct 2011, 12:19 pm   #11
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones01 View Post
Is the system trying to boot straight into Windows on startup? If so, you'll need to use the F5 trick to stop it doing that. For testing purposes I'd recommend editing AUTOEXEC.BAT to remove the line which starts Windows - I think it's just 'win'.
Yes - Windows 3.1 isn't an operating system - it's a graphical user interface with some extras eg task-swapper. It runs using DOS.

That being so, on boot-up, CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT both run. And if Windows starts automatically, it's because there's a line "WIN" (or possibly "C:\WINDOWS\WIN.EXE") as last line in AUOTOEXEC.BAT.

Either delete this line - or put REM (space) in front of WIN - and you'll start in DOS and then stay in DOS. And to then start Windows, just type WIN (enter).
Old 29th Oct 2011, 2:29 pm   #12
ed731pdh
Retired Dormant Member

Oh god, the bad old days of throttling memory out of the system using EMM386 in the config .sys file. Brings back memories, especially being one of the last of the die hard dossers.
Old 30th Oct 2011, 1:45 pm   #13
Electricdreams
Hexode

Control-C will abort the autoexec.bat sequence...
Old 17th Nov 2011, 8:56 pm   #14
dragonser
Heptode

Hi,
many thanks for all your help. I did manage to try some things out on the computer [ I'm not normally where the computer is, it is a long story ! ].
the setup program on the c drive does allow you to change various settings, but you may need the windows install floppies for the drivers/installation files.
I couldn't then find the win 3.1 disks but I did find some 3.11 disks.
so I installed windows 3.11, ok so far until I tried to finish the setup.
turns out the super vga options don't like the geforce video card, so I had to select standard vga mode. then it installed ok but when it booted the error message appeared as the hard disk had pc dos on it rather than msdos.
I found the msdos 6.2 disks but these wouldn't install as they were meant for putting on a new version of dos, not upgrading an older one.
I may be able to get it to work editing the autoexec bat files etc but I don't know the pcdos commands .....
I then ran out of time, so will have to investigate another visit.
Also I couldn't get the computer to boot from the cdrom drive or dvd writer.
the problem was that Both the DVD writer and cdrom drive are faulty [ but with different faults ! ]
anyway thanks for your help again.....
Closed Thread