UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2021, 1:15 pm   #1

Default TMS320F206 JTAG Programming

The title says it all, I have the chip on a board with a 14(pin 7 missing) Texas JTAG header and a .OUT file which I would like to put in the chip. Any ideas, I have a Segger j-link unit but the config files don't go back that far! I am prepared to buy another programmer/tool if necessary.

MM

Old 13th May 2021, 2:40 pm   #2
ortek_service
Octode

Default Re: TMS320F206 JTAG Programming

Unfortunately JTAG was never actually originally intended for programming IC's, only debugging them. So programming via JTAG is a manufacturer-specific extension to the standard. And I believe TI were one of the first to do this on DSP's - where you were only uploading into it's RAM, as FLASH was originally external to these, before JTAG appeared on Microcontrollers with built-in FLASH.

I've only uploaded to the TMS320C50, using the (rather expensive at the time TI XDS110 Debugger interface that had an ISA Card but was later available with a PCI card). And I know others used Spectrum-Digital Parallel-port etc. interfaces, as an alternative.
I think I originally used some DOS Tools that TI provided on floppy-disk / free, before they moved to using Code-Composer (which I think they provided free versions, later-on)

Although the JTAG Interface signals are standardised (Even though various 14(13) / 20 / 10 pin 2-row 0.1" etc. headers are used), the debugging / programming control-software needs to support the particular interface.

So it's probably a case of finding what software supports programming the TMS320F206 (TI should have info on their website), and then seeing what interfaces are usable with it.

I did wonder if a Universal IC-Programmer unit might do it, via its ISP-Interface. But only a few TMS320F28xx devices are listed on Dataman 48Pro etc. device list.

Googling TMS320F206, I noticed a similar query on programming-it:
https://e2e.ti.com/support/processor...m-a-tms320f206
Old 13th May 2021, 3:25 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

I've JTAG-programmed Altera complex PLDs in the 2500 logic cell range. But I was using their RS232-Jtag bit box. It seemed to work OK, but these things have so any programming methods that wading through the whole lot and picking out the relevant sections can be tedious and confusing. I'm assuming TI did it no better.

David
Old 13th May 2021, 3:51 pm   #4
ortek_service
Octode

Yes, Altera were another early-adopter of using JTAG for programming.
And the same board I was doing a TMS320C50 on also had some larger Altera EPM71xx FPGA's and their (10pin 'JTAG' header).
(The smaller Altera EPM50xx?? didn't have JTAG on it, and they later discontinued it > 20years ago)

And Altera In-Circuit Programming interfaces weren't too expensive or complex, like the Serial-Port 'BitBlaster' or even the Parallel-Port 'ByteBlaster' - which was just a Buffer IC, and could DIY one easily. Plus the later/current USB-Blaster has numerous cheaper clones around.
So once Altera made MaxPlus-II / Quartus software version free, and not requiring Dongles, it allowed use by many without spend £2k plus!

But not so many started using TI DSP's
- Although there shouldn't be too high an entry barrier (I think they gave away a $100 Dev. board on a basic Training course)

Last edited by ortek_service; 13th May 2021 at 4:09 pm.
Old 13th May 2021, 8:06 pm   #5

The link ortek posted is interesting, looks like there is some hope. Thanks for the help so far, I think I have a way to go...
MM

Closed Thread