UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2021, 11:05 am   #1
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Default Connector for ribbon

Can anyone advise what kind of a slot-in connector I might need for this 17-way ribbon?
Is something like that even obtainable?
The ruler is metric in CMs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ribbon.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	232207  

Last edited by WaveyDipole; 20th Apr 2021 at 11:13 am.
Old 20th Apr 2021, 1:20 pm   #2
duncanlowe
Nonode

Default Re: Connector for ribbon

I think you are after this kind of thing. Link to RS is for examples only.
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/conne...ons=4294865237
Old 20th Apr 2021, 4:45 pm   #3
ortek_service
Octode

Yes 17way 1.0mm pitch FFC type. And Elco were originally a popular manufacturers of FFC/FPC connectors for these.
- which are available in a variety of vertical & horizontal types with either just push-fit or zero-insertion force latching mechanisms. This gives an over view of FFC & FPC cables: https://www.leotronics.co.uk/blog/4247/

Usually the connectors are Surface mount, so would need a PCB for these (but can probably use a 1.0mm pitch prototyping / adaptor board or the breakout ones you can get with just fixed-pitch tracks or expansion to wider pitches converter). But there were also some leaded versions, for these larger pitches.

And with horizontal ones, there's Top & bottom contact types

- All bottom-contact SM ones showed here (previous reply link, now narrowed-down to 1.0mm pitch):
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/conne...237,4294870345

Last edited by ortek_service; 20th Apr 2021 at 4:52 pm.
Old 20th Apr 2021, 6:00 pm   #4
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Thank you. It seems the postage cost far outweighs the cost of the part so probably not worthwhile bothering unless I add it to another order, so may have to wait a while. I had hoped to find one on eBay or Bangood but no joy.
Old 21st Apr 2021, 3:18 am   #5
ortek_service
Octode

The problem seems that they are literally an odd size, so generally only available from larger distributors - Farnell / Mouser / Digi-key etc.
Although might be in CPC.

There are some on the 'bay, if you search for: 17 1mm FFC
- but at > £4 each (although inc. free delivery) from a UK supplier.

A similar problem on Aliexpress, who have lots of cheap even positions ones, although there is some 17 position ones in 50 / 100off lots for a couple of pounds more.

You might be able to bodge it with a more common cheaply available 18 position etc. one, and push the FFC cable to one side / cut a thin shim of plastic and put at the side.
Old 21st Apr 2021, 9:17 am   #6
WaveyDipole
Nonode

I did an eBay search 'FFC FPC 17 pin' but didn't turn up anything initially, but your search of '17 1mm FFC' does indeed turn one up at £4. That is half of the £8 it would have cost from RS with postage + VAT, but for one unit versus a pack of five. The ribbon cable connects a small old back-lit matrix LCD from a radio and I was wondering whether I could get it going on an Arduino. The experiment is probably not worth spending much time, money and effort on. I did think that 17 pins was an unusual number though, so you are no doubt correct that is the reason why availability is limited. Your idea about the 18 pin version might be an option though. Thanks.
Old 21st Apr 2021, 12:34 pm   #7

You can get an OLED for Arduino for less than £4.

Old 22nd Apr 2021, 10:48 am   #8
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Yes, indeed, or a 20x4 character display. It was for my curiosity only and now gone in the bin.
Thanks.
Closed Thread