UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2023, 2:44 pm   #101
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Default Re: Standard Beam Approach - Rebuild update

Hi Richard

I would not have started this except that you provided the Marker Receiver that contained the components that drive the neons. Never seen another version and that was the one that would have been in the MKI Stirling.

I could not work out how the glide circuitry worked. The meter did respond to the strength of the incoming signal but never dropped below half way and spent most of the time over fsd. Because the 0V line floated there was no real way of knowing what was wrong, nor did I have a good description of how it was supposed to work - for example when in course, what was the Glide meter supposed to do? Where my valves in spec? Since they made a good number of these I assume that there once was someone who could have answered that question but it was beyond me!

I had been intending to demonstrate the ground transmitter and I made up three aerials. I powered one with the RF generator and could show that when I shorted the two halves of one of the other dipoles together the signal was attenuated. Any better demo would have involved going into the garden due to size constraints, however when I tried a few days later the effect stubbornly refused to repeat.

Incidentally, I forgot to mention that the PSU (which you also supplied me with) is the later version with a steel cover. I picked up the right cast metal version later in the project. I didn't refurbish it as it was a 24V version and I only had a 12V power supply!

Cheers
James
Old 31st May 2023, 2:47 pm   #102
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Hi Andy

Thanks very much, and thanks again for providing the Bowden cable. Just like the interconnecting cables I suspect that these were the first things to be taken off the aircraft and chucked away!

I've not shown the assembly in detail but is is quite well engineered.

Cheers
James
Old 15th Jun 2023, 5:31 pm   #103
GMB
Dekatron

If you need the neons for the indicator, I am fairly sure that these are them: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/....php?p=1564484
Old 17th Jun 2023, 7:12 pm   #104
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Hi GMB

You are correct. I do have two neons which are all I need really but they are quite rare.

Cheers
James
Closed Thread