UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Sep 2013, 12:09 am   #1
Mjolnirr
Retired Dormant Member

Default Garrard SP25 MK V Set down point.

Hi,
I have just bought an SP25 mk5, and using this forum I have managed to solve most of the problems
I had, except one.
The auto mechanism works fine now, but it starts a little bit too far on 12' LP, stops and auto returns much too far behind the spindle, and at the end it stops in between a record and arm rest. How do I set this up properly? is it related somehow with the record size changer? Thanks.
Old 21st Sep 2013, 4:10 pm   #2
GP49000
Hexode

Setdown adjustment screw for SP25 Mk V is under the armtube on the gimbal assembly, as shown in photo. Anticlockwise to move the setdown point outwards as you desire.

HOWEVER, if this does not work:

With the mechanism in its neutral (automatically shut-off) status, you should be able to move the arm by hand inward to a stop, then further under spring tension. This spring tension keeps the arm against this adjusting screw. If this movement under spring tension is stiff or frozen, the arm will need to be removed and the problem sorted out. If there is NO spring tension, then a wire spring at the rear of the arm has fallen off or broken. The various setdown points will be inconsistent. You will need to make a new one from steel spring wire. Its shape is hard to describe...so I hope this is not the case. Lots of times people "service" these decks and lose that spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3354a.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	84276  

Last edited by GP49000; 21st Sep 2013 at 4:16 pm.
Old 25th Sep 2013, 9:14 pm   #3
Mjolnirr
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks, that make sense now, however arm has changed position only for a ~1cm do you think that may be caused by the spring wire, is it right shape of it (see photo).

Spring wire fell of when I touched it, looks like it was not properly fitted and that may be another reason of my problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0122.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	84401  
Old 25th Sep 2013, 11:45 pm   #4
Mjolnirr
Retired Dormant Member

Wow, that is it! I have started with the adjustment screw, with just a small difference in starting position of the arm. Then I have touched the spring wire and this fell off... Simply was not properly fixed. Than I've spent couple of minutes to find the place that the spring has been attached to (and how to do that). After couple of tries, I had to bend a little bit the spring and once again checked the levers on the main cam. Plays like a dream, starting, stopping and docking arm perfectly. Many thanks
Old 26th Sep 2013, 9:06 am   #5
ben
Dekatron

Glad you got it fixed. I had to do this myself earlier this week whilst reviving a wreck. This being one of the less common sp25s, I had no idea on the spring's exact location. see here.
Old 26th Sep 2013, 9:33 am   #6
Mjolnirr
Retired Dormant Member

That is exactly what I have found out after couple of tries. The spring wire should be on the right side of a peg. Previously the spring was loose because not hooked on a pegs head. Now it is sorted.

Just a quic question, is all of these sp25's are not having grounding wires? Or it's just mine? I have attached it to my TT, it was so noisy without it.

My SP25 is fixed, next one is Rotel rp1500 (it is beautiful )
Old 26th Sep 2013, 1:17 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnirr View Post
Just a quic question, is all of these sp25's are not having grounding wires? Or it's just mine? I have attached it to my TT, it was so noisy without it.
As with all turntables, the grounding arrangements really depend on the amplifier you connect it to.

Sometimes, the chassis is grounded via the screen of the right hand signal lead. On other systems, a separate wire is needed to connect it to the earth terminal of the amplifier.

Nick.
Closed Thread