UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Mar 2012, 5:30 pm   #1
jenpen87
Retired Dormant Member

Default Record Player Servicing - Newcastle Upon Tyne

Hi,

I've got a 1970s Fidelity record player which could do with a service but I cant find anywhere in Newcastle Upon Tyne which can do this.

Can anyone advise where I can get this done or could do it for me?

I bought it about 6 years ago and it hasn't been serviced since then so I think it could probably do with a new stylus. The volume control has also become extremely crackly and struggles to pick up adequate volume at times.

Thanks.
Old 4th Mar 2012, 5:44 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Record Player Servicing - Newcastle Upon Tyne

Hi,

If a new stylus and dealing with a crackly volume control is all that's needed, you can deal with it yourself. There's plenty of online suppliers of styli (see the relevant Sticky thread in this section) and switchcleaner spray (such as Servisol Super 10) can be bought from shops such as Maplin.

However, if you don't feel like doing this then perhaps a forum member local to you would be happy to help. Presumably your record player is transistorised but anyone who may be willing to help will likely wish to know the model number beforehand.

Regarding finding "anywhere" in Newcastle, by that I assume you mean an electrical shop. The sad fact is, you won't anywhere unless you're extremely lucky as the skills needed to repair anything even as simple as a record player have long gone insofar as the 'High Street' is concerned.
Closed Thread