UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2012, 4:18 pm   #1
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Pickup cartridge question

When they quoted the output of a cartridge was there some sort of industry standard test record that they used?
I wonder what it was referred to as, what would be on it and whether they can be obtained these days.
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 4:51 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Pickup cartridge question

Wasn't it usually quoted as "mV@ 5cm/sec @1kHz" or something like?

At any rate for a half decent cartridge.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 2nd Mar 2012, 10:59 pm   #3
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

I think it was quoted (for a magnetic cartridge) as mV/cm/sec, with the assumption that a typical record was 5cm/sec so a 1mV/cm/sec cartridge would give 5mV.
Old 4th Mar 2012, 2:10 pm   #4
recordplayer
Pentode

Hi,

I find the best way to check the output from a cartridge is to use a test record which has continuous and varying test tones.

Normally you would select a track on the record with a continuous tone and then measure the output from the cartridge pins (disconnected from the amp), measurement would be with an AC millivolt meter or a 'scope. You can still buy test records on the internet and they are very good, I have used them quite a lot.

There is a lack of specification these days on cartridges and many sites don't even quote the output voltage or even tell you whether it's ceramic or crystal. I find the SC12M and SC12H just aren't up to driving a single valve amplifier. They are OK for the Hacker and Bush players having a better gain amp but they give dire results on other players.

See attached pic of a test record.

Tony .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test record.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	63440  
Old 5th Mar 2012, 12:23 am   #5
Neil Purling
Nonode

The BSR SC12H is quoted as 170mV +- 2db. For that figure to make any sense you'd have to know the speed of the test record.
I have only been able to measure the external output of my Hacker where the outboard amp unit AL42 would connect to. It is not amplified or processed in any way.
The signal was waaay in excess of 200mV with a 45rpm single on the platter. With music the CRO trace constantly changes frequency & amplitude.
The test record looks like it's a LP. The low speed would mean the lowest output.
Old 5th Mar 2012, 11:14 am   #6
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Is that a ceramic cartidge? If so, it does not depend on the speed of the record (unlike magnetic cartridges).
Closed Thread