UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2012, 3:48 pm   #1
TimS
Pentode

Default Garrard 3000 Autochanger not operating

Something appears to be sticking in my Garrard 3000. The 'Auto' switch doesn't do anything and the stylus jumps towards the end/centre of the record.

See attached picture.

I've traced (I think) the problem to the part circled in red (termed 'pivot plate' on a 2025TC service sheet, which seems to detail an identical mechanism to this 3000), which is attached to the main cam. Unfortunately the pivot plate's pivot is very very stiff, hence my stylus jumping problems.

When trying to start the autochanger this same part is too stiff to move, so the cam underneath the turntable cannot push it along and hence engage the main cam.

As far as I can see I need to remove the main cam to remove and clean the offending part. I've removed the circlip from the location pointed to by the green arrow, and expected the cam to now slide freely off. Sadly it doesn't move an inch, or for that matter a thou.

So two questions....

1. Am I correct in the diagnosis - should this pivot plate indeed pivot freely?

and

2. How on earth do I remove the main cam? I'm reluctant to employ brute force until I am sure thats required.

thanks,
-- Tim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040758.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	63062  
Old 24th Feb 2012, 4:04 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard 3000 Autochanger not operating

There seems to be a piece missing from that!

There should be a movable piece of metal which is pushed out by the motion of the tonearm across the record and which would complete the teeth, setting the timing cog in motion. But while the record is playing normally, it keeps getting pushed back, once per turn, by a protrusion on the centre boss of the turntable; when the needle hits the wide-spaced run-out grooves at the end of the side, it moves into place before the cancelling peg can push it back, and the change cycle continues.

Maybe someone is scrapping another Garrard changer? (I think the spares are mostly interchangeable between models of the same general series.) Post in "sets and parts wanted", you never know.

To get the timing cog out, rock it gently back and forth while lifting. This is connected to the tonearm, which will want to move with it. Make sure it is free to do so and the stylus is removed or protected. If it still won't budge, blast it with a hairdrier or hot air gun.
Old 24th Feb 2012, 7:35 pm   #3
TimS
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
There seems to be a piece missing from that!
Do you mean the trip pawl, bottom centre of the photo? I removed it just before taking the picture.

-- Tim.
Old 24th Feb 2012, 8:02 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Tim, I have recently had the same problem with the cam gear on a 2025TC, which was almost immovable. By a combination of applying a few drops of 3-in-1 oil to the pin on which the cam gear pivots, and heating the gear assembly with a hair dryer, I eventually
got the gear off. The culprit-as ever- was hard, dried grease. This also caused the trip pawl to virtually seize up. Having finally removed the cam gear, and dismantled the trip pawl, I was able to clean these parts, relubricate them with a small amount of light grease, and reassemble them. They are now working perfectly again.
Old 24th Feb 2012, 8:56 pm   #5
TimS
Pentode

Thanks - first hurdle overcome. I got the main cam gear off. Next difficulty is the pivot plate which is pivotted on a rivet - and its tight. I'm currently trying to free it up by moving it to and fro and applying 3 in 1, but it's not easy.

The trip pawl is OK, as appears to be the rest of the mechanism. It's just this pivot plate thats the problem.

Tim.
Old 25th Feb 2012, 8:11 am   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Tim,

Do you mean the oval rivetted bit that holds the large action plate by sitting in a curver slot? (sorry, no time to post a pic at the moment but can you post one of the relevant part).
You don't need to remove it as the plate can be removed when you take off the circlip on the main pivot after a soak.
Old 25th Feb 2012, 8:42 am   #7
julie_m
Dekatron

Oops, yes, sorry Tim. Didn't notice it down there.
Old 25th Feb 2012, 2:45 pm   #8
TimS
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
Tim
Do you mean the oval rivetted bit that holds the large action plate by sittimg in a curver slot? (sorry, no time to post a pic at the moment but can you post one of the relevant part).
You don't need to remove it as the plate can be removed when you take off the circlip on the main pivot after a soak.
Hi Mike - more pics attached which may explain things better than my possibly not entirely accurate terminology.

First picture shows the deck with turntable and main cam removed. When the control lever is moved to 'Auto', the part above the green arrow moves in the direction of the arrow along that slot. It doesn't apply much force at this point as underneath the deck, between the control lever and this point, is a linkage with a spring - so any higher forces just extend the spring.

Second picture is the main cam. Underneath is the pivot plate, on top is the trip pawl. When the control lever is moved to 'Auto', the part referred to above in picture 1 pushes against the pivot plate in this picture and (I think) should move it in the direction of the red arrow. Unfortunately it does not, because there is too much resistance on its pivot (blue arrow, pics 2 and 3). I've freed it up a bit but its still not free enough to move. I'm wondering if perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree, but as things stand I can't see how the mechanism can possibly be activated at the start of the record unless this pivot becomes looser.

I suspect my problems with the stylus jumping at the end of the record are also due to the stiffness in this pivot.

Tim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040761.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	63146   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040762.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	63147   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040763.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	63148  
Old 25th Feb 2012, 6:29 pm   #9
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

The Trip pawl components should be completely free to move, so, if they are binding or sticking, the only way is to remove both parts from the cam gear, clean off all old grease from both the pivot pin and the hole in which it pivots. A tiny amount of light oil may be needed on the pivot pin when reassembling the pawl, but ideally it should move freely without lubrication. See the 'sticky' at the top of this section for further info.on this subject
Old 25th Feb 2012, 6:40 pm   #10
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I was barking up the wrong tree!

I've only just seen this, Tim, and would have seconded what LW says; the sliding bar that pushes the trip pawl has to be completely free or it will skip grooves. If the trip pawl is gummed up it's looking like a complete stripdown.
At least, you'd have to take the action plate off to get the screw on the sliding bar off.
Old 25th Feb 2012, 8:02 pm   #11
TimS
Pentode

The mechanism underneath the deck seems quite free - there is a sliding bar, at the end of which is the protuberance that can be seen poking up - just above the green arrow in the first picture in post #8 above. This moves quite happily. The trip pawl (top most part in picture 2) is also quite free.

The 'pivot plate' (see the service data for the 2025TC, which seems identical to this 3000; part 78 from p10 of /data/garrard/manufacturers/1025_2025.pdf on the DVD), is however the part which is not free. Complicating the issue - hence the reason why I haven't yet got as far as removing it - is that it is attached by and pivots on what looks like a rivet - though curiously only one end of this 'rivet' is visible - it is in a blind hole. See picture three on post #8 above - the blue arrow points to the rivet in question. It certainly doesn't look like I can easily remove and replace it as I'd presumably need a replacement rivet, and the means to replace it.

I may try moderate heat to try and melt any hardened grease that has got stuck in there.

-- Tim.
Old 25th Feb 2012, 9:15 pm   #12
julie_m
Dekatron

It looks to me not like a rivet in a blind hole, but the end of the same rod on which the trip pawl pivots, turned down and hammered over. If this is so, then if you remove the circlip below the trip pawl, it should just push through.
Old 25th Feb 2012, 11:42 pm   #13
TimS
Pentode

AJS - yes, I think you may be right on it being the end of the rod hammered over. Thats one puzzle solved.

Unfortunately the pivot plate appears to be sitting on a turned shoulder in that rod - so it can't move along the rod in that direction.

-- Tim.
Old 26th Feb 2012, 12:09 am   #14
julie_m
Dekatron

Won't the rod push just through the timing cam gear, pivot plate and all? I'd expect for the pivot plate just to be sitting against the step where it was turned down, and there not to be another step. If it is made like that, it ought to come out; try applying a soldering iron, it might soften the grease and allow the rod to come out, with the pivot plate still in place.
Old 26th Feb 2012, 10:13 am   #15
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Tim

If I recall, the pivot that goes through the gear is riveted to the pivot on the underside.

I think that if you remove the circlip and lever at the top, then the second circlip the pivot should come out attached to the riveted plate.
What happens is the passivated nickel plating on all the steel parts makes the pivot corrode against the zinc alloy gear, so as others say, soaking and heat needed to remove it.
Even then, a hammer and hardwood block might be required on the top side of the pivot.
Old 26th Feb 2012, 11:44 am   #16
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Referring to your picture #2, Tim, if you rremove the circlip and the trip pawl, you will see underneath a second circlip. Remove this and the lever underneath should drop out, allowing cleaning of the pivot pin, and the hole into wich it fits. The rivet highlighted by the blue arrow in your pic.#3 is where the pin(shaft?) in which the pawl locates is fitted. This is easily cleaned, even with the lower lever in situ. I hope the foregoing isn't stating the obvious, but the last cam gear assembly I rectified needed heat applying to the pivot before I could withdraw the lower lever. Never had one that difficult before!!!
Old 27th Feb 2012, 11:28 pm   #17
TimS
Pentode

Thanks - now I realise the error I was making.

Quote:
Next difficulty is the pivot plate which is pivotted on a rivet
See picture 2 above, with the blue arrow pointing to the riveted end of the shaft on which the pivot plate pivots. Because this shaft that the pivot plate should pivot on was so tight in the main cam I assumed that this was intended to be tight and static - hence I assumed that the 'rivet' at its end was also the pivot point. Once I extracted the pivot plate from the cam it then became clear that this was the pivot, and the tightness or otherwise of the riveted fixing was not particularly relevant.

Even better, it seems to work now (fingers crossed...)

thanks!
-- Tim.
Old 3rd Mar 2012, 8:28 pm   #18
D_S_J_R
Heptode

The parts in these pics MUST NOT show any sign of oil or grease, only a tiny drop of oil in the pawl pivot ONLY..

Download the SL65 service manual from Vinyl Engine. The important parts here are identical to those in the 3000 (yours has the later trip slider running in a delrin? lined slot, earlier Autoslim derivatives didn't, using a brass? peg sliding on the painted top plate slot).

Dave
Closed Thread