UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2023, 8:03 am   #1
Slammer
Pentode

Default Unknown Gramophone.

Could this be the ultimate gramophone?
I got a good offer for the Tujuphone, unrestored and original as a machine from 1925 could be and picked up this.... Gramophone.... for a very reasonable price. Not too sure what it is or where it comes from, it must be a German device but each and every google comes up with a "irrumatus if I know!"
So I will toss it to the good members of this venerable forum.
It seems to be a pre 1925 device as the motor would suggest a manufacturing date of around 1920, give or take a few years. It is built from white beech, as far as I can tell, and it is massive, no veneer anywhere. The joints are dovetail and mortice and tenon and the weight of the machine hints at naval quality timber. It dwarves my Serinade by being twice the size, it stands just under my chest and a child would have to stand on a chair to use it.
The wind up has a click-y ratchet-y feel to it and you wind it for ages and ages and ages. Wind it once and play all week.
However I am not going to play a record on it just yet.
You see the tone arm feels loose, it is a straight arm, set in a ball and socket affair, but it seems to be worn as it sits on the record at a slight angle and not 90° as I would think. I can´t imagine that being very good for a record, so I will ask the forum: "should it worry me?"
Anyway enjoy the pictures and let me know what you think .And just for giggles I will include a picture of a portable that I fell in love with but ran out of crazy money, I said "HELL YEAH!" Wallet said: "NO!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1790.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	272024   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1791.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	272025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1786.jpg
Views:	86